Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Obama shuts down GA in Germany

[[ H E A V I L Y O F F T O P I C ]]

How do you pronounce the name LKPM?

Lima Kilo Papa Mike

but in case you meant how to pronounce P?íbram, that is not too hard really, and (to me at least) much easier than any kind of Gaelic because Slavic languages are very, perhaps even totally, phonetic. To make life even easier, the stress is always on the first syllable.

Unexpected and perhaps confusing could be
the tilde (or what to call it?) on top of the r, which tells you to still speak an r, but follow it by a kind of zj; the same thing happens in the name of composer Dvo?ak. According to our friend wikipedia, this phoneme is unique to the Czech language.
and the accent on the i - in Spanish and Italian, an accent on a vowel tells you where to put the stress, if the place is unexpected; in Slavic languages, it means the vowel is lengthened

Peter, confirm or improve, please?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I could never speak the other languages but Czech is very easy to pronounce if you see it written.

Correct on the vowel being longer with the accent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

R with a hacek (inverted v on top) is quite difficult to pronounce. You're meant to pronounce a front rolled 'r' and a 'zh' sound more or less simultaneously, with no less than two tongue rolls on the 'r' and no more than four. Or something like that. I speak Slovak (or used to), and lots of Slovaks couldn't pronounce it despite the Slovak and Czech languages otherwise being fairly similar.

Slavic languages are very, perhaps even totally, phonetic. To make life even easier, the stress is always on the first syllable.

Absolutely not. The stress in most Slavic languages can be anywhere and the pronunciation of a vowel can be very different whether it's stressed or not. A stressed "o" in Russian is an o, a non stressed o in Russian is a short "a". A stressed "e" is "ye" or "yo", an unstressed e is a short i etc. and there is nothing in the word that tells you where the stress is, you have to learn it for each word and flexion/case (yes, the stress moves with grammatical function).

Thank you for discouraging me... I must admit I wrote on the basis of only the slightest of rumours. But just when I was hoping to make some progress in the Slavic world, you do set me back a good deal. Oh well, back to reality then. Languages are hard, and best learned in youth.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In terms of pronunciation, Slovak and Czech are pretty straightforward*. The stresses are quite predictable. The grammer (inflections, word order etc) is also very logical. Unfortunately, these features don't combine to make them 'easy'. Though they are still easier than Welsh.

*unless it's minus ten, at which point my ability to form words such as "zhrdzavriet'" deserts me.

Just make sure you don't have one of those suspicious radar pods under the wing

Hahaha!

While I was in the midst of a flight test program on this modified Cessna 206

The police and military were setting up this temporary radar site

And had all of their police aircraft gathered at our airport. We are the closest to the Canada G8 summit of 2010.

When I flew over in the 206, they about had a panic attack! It was pretty funny to hear them on the radio asking who I was, and what I was doing! I pretended to not hear them calling me ('cause they did not use my registration), so they could sweat a while.

They relaxed later when they found that I was based there, and doing legitimate flight testing, which was approved, and scheduled.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

What's that hammerhead shark modification you were test flying?

After I landed at LDZA today (my home base), airport staff informed me that I'll have to find new home base from June 29 to July 3 because of politicians visiting Zagreb to celebrate Croatia's joining EU. They will empty complete GA apron because of bunch of useles farts and I guess they'll probably shut down complete airspace. I'll file request that airport covers my expenses of moving, landing and parking aircraft at another airport - I guess I'll get nothing but at least I'll try.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

What's that hammerhead shark modification you were test flying?

"Vertical Gradient" Magnatometers, which are used to detect and map land mines, so they can be cleared more safely.

The antennas were moved to this aircraft, and my flight testing started all over again (and was much more wild!)

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
Sign in to add your message