Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oil consumption increasing as oil gets older

JasonC

Experience has shown us that most Lycoming engines don’t like to be filled to the full mark on the dipstick, the full mark for the O-235 is 6 USQ and the O-360 8 USQ, we use 5.5 & 7 respectivly as the full mark and top up ( with a full sealed bottle) at 1 USQ below that level.

This policy has drasticly reduced the oil usage, I say usage because the engine does not consume the extra oil, it just throws it out of the breather onto the bottom of the aircraft.

I have had some involvement with O-540 engines and usually consider 10 USQ to be full rather than the 12 USQ on the dipstick.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 01 May 07:30

I have had some involvement with O-540 engines and usually consider 10 USQ to be full rather than the 12 USQ on the dipstick.

I operate my O-540 with 5qt on the dipstick. Sump sizes depend on the exact variant of the engine. The main reason for the engine to throw oil overboard is pressurization of the crankcase through leaks in piston rings.

Last Edited by achimha at 01 May 07:38

Achimha.

A agree totally about piston blow by being a major factor in oil consumption, I suspect that the greater air volume in the sump/crankcase gives a dampening effect on pressure variations and reduces the tendency for the oil mist to exit via the breather.

Lowering the oil level will increase the air volume in the sump/crankcase as well as decrease the likelihood of oil from the sump being thrown up into the crankcase moving parts and creating a thick oil mist that increases the volume of oil exiting the breather.

I can’t see any down side to running the engine with 5 USQ as long as the engine oil consumption is a known value, the only problem with it is if I returned an aircraft to a customer after a maintenance check with only 5USQ of oil he would think I was not doing the job properly.

It should be remembered that there is about 1 USQ of oil hiding within the oil filter and cooler so the actual oil contents of the engine is about one USQ greater than indicated on the dipstick.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 01 May 08:44

A&C I agree. The argument from someone close to piper was that for certification they needed to increase the amount of oil held to show that the aircraft would run out of fuel before it consumed its oil. But the excess just blows out the breather. Between 8&10 quarts was the sweet spot.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 May 08:46
EGTK Oxford

I’ve just got the latest oil analysis from Blackstone. It is all very good, though (as mentioned) the make-up oil was higher than usual at 7qts, which was a bit high even for the 45hrs oil life.

However -

• We did find a small oil leak in the usual place (the short flexible hoses feeding the tops of the cylinder heads).
  • Since I was not intending to do this service before the flight to Prague (8hrs airborne time) I topped the oil off to the “9” mark, but then the service was done after all before that trip. Whereas normally when anticipating a service I let the oil run down to the minimum; say “6”, so as not to waste it unneccesarily. So that probably accounts for 2 qts.
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We did find a small oil leak in the usual place (the short flexible hoses feeding the tops of the cylinder heads).

Yours has rubber oil hoses that bring oil to the valve chamber? I don’t have that, only oil return lines but they are steel. The oil to the head comes via the push rods.

They are not just rubber; they are the Aeroquip style 306 fibre-reinforced hose

They tend to develop small leaks and tightening up the jubilee clips at the 50hr check is normal.

You need only a tiny oil leak to get through a few more quarts of oil…

Administrator

This article says the oil does not degrade (in terms of lubricating properties) but instead gets filthy.

Administrator

One reason proposed for the increase in oil consumption with oil age is that the additive which thickens with temperature (to create multigrade oil) breaks down over time and eventually the oil ends up really thin, so gets past the piston rings in greater quantities.

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message