Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Over Baltic sea in April

Isn’t carrying a raft prescribed by law in all European countries, depending on the distance from shore?

If I recall it is mandatory when out of gliding range of the shore… I love the subjective legal stuff.

EDHS, Germany

So far, these rules are all dependant on aircraft registration. As always, FAA Part 91 regs give a lot of flexibility. However, this is about to change in Europe when EASA OPS kick in.

It’s one of those many rules that are not routinely engorced though.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Apr 08:50
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico, could you please tell more about Kaliningrad FIR crossing? I have asked the question before on forums, but there were no reply. Have you just filed flight plan for that? Any special permission? Was that IFR or VFR and what flight level?

I crossed the FIR there a few weeks ago. Just on an IFR plan. Was over the water from Poland. Seemed like any other crossing – no special procedures.

EGTK Oxford

Did you fly over land whilst within Kaliningrad FIR?

So, @boscomantico, was that VFR or IFR? And at what flightlevel? I presumed, that it have to work for high seas, but still could not get any proof.

Last Edited by pshz at 04 Apr 09:47
EVCA

Bosco, no.

EGTK Oxford

Flying in FL100 over the Mediterraean in the summer I always see a ship or two. One time between Tripolis and Crete i couldn’t see one though, which i found astonishing. I flew to Crete with vests only. In the north I am much more careful and try to fly as high as possible/allowed

What’s the recommendation for a 2-4 person raft for the Mediterranean?

phsz,

sorry… that flight was IFR, FL100 (see trip report). I believe that flight rules make no difference though, so I guess you could do the route I did VFR and have no formalities.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Apr 10:53

Isn’t carrying a raft prescribed by law in all European countries, depending on the distance from shore?

No AFAIK… most people I know don’t have a raft, presumably because they start at c. €1000. I used to lend mine to a local flying school for their trips to France – until they returned it unwrapped and repacked and I had to get it overhauled.

The question is rather: are we willing to take the (small) risk of dying in return for doing enjoyable things in life?

Why take the risk when a good escape route is so easily arranged?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why take the risk when a good escape route is so easily arranged?

You can’t know how good that escape route (life raft) really is… especially since both you and I went for the cheapest and simplest raft there is…

Sign in to add your message