Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxymizer / Oxysaver

Interesting – I had not seen that product before. I will add it to my article. It should work with any constant flow source, such as any 1st stage regulator followed by an adjustable flow constrictor. It won’t work with any demand regulator.

That firms has a lot of great gear – e.g. their refill hoses. I wonder if CGA-870 is the same as the British Oxygen “bullnose” – here ?

Yes, I’ll buy that O2D2 system soon. What’s the best source? Probably same price everywhere …

I buy straight from MH in the USA. Their service is very good and you get factory-fresh stuff. There are European stockists but their pricing has IME always been just MH pricing with VAT and carriage added, so was pointless.

I don’t know if MH offer discounts to resellers; if they do then perhaps one could make money by importing a load of gear by sea freight (the carriage charges from the USA are ~20-30% of the purchase price) into Europe. However shipping within Europe, over 2kg, can’t be done by airmail so you still get shafted by DHL etc. So it probably doesn’t make any sense to have a European distributor. Also the high altitude IFR community here is miniscule and no two pilots want the same stuff.

Last Edited by Peter at 29 Nov 14:37
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have the O2D2 system and am delighted with it.

I use these cannulas which I find much better than the standard type:

http://www.oxyarmaviator.com/home_page.html

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 29 Nov 17:46
EGSC

I don’t understand the fuzz about oxyarms. See the picture: the thing that sticks into one’s nose looks exactly like or even worse than the ones on my oxysaver cannulas, so what’s the deal? I mean, it’s not the tubes around my head that are uncomfotable; its that thing sticking up the nose plus the dry air…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I prefer them because they are tidier, easy to remove and swing out of the way when you don’t need them and I find them more comfortable especially as you don’t have to wind them round your ears as you do the standard ones.

That said: each to his own preference!

EGSC

Roger!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t mind the cannulas up my nose but don’t like the tubes going over the ears and behind the head where they get caught on the headrest when one moves around.

There is probably a solution, via fixing some sort of clip to the headset band, but I never bothered to look into it.

The “dry air” has no solution. The oxygen will always be dry (pure oxygen is pure oxygen) but most of the air you breathe in is past the cannula, and at high altitude, VMC, it will always be dry. The only solution is pressurisation.

What the O2D2 gives you, which no other system gives you almost regardless of the gas flow rate, is efficient blood oxygenation at higher altitudes e.g. over FL160. I have used both the moustache cannulas and the old Precise Oxygen mechanical regulators, and above FL160 one was really struggling. Whereas with the O2D2 breathing is effortless even at FL200. I know the price is silly – $800 for 2 people.

Last Edited by Peter at 29 Nov 20:32
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have tried the cannulas (also the so called oxygen saving ones) and can also refill right around the corner for 10 euro per bottle. Still, I would not fly without the O2D2. It saves a lot of oxygen in your bottle and thus you won’t have to take a large bottle with you on your trips to fly a long while on oxygen.

Here is my setup explained with the new Oxyarm cannula.

I do have a spare MH O2 bottle with O2D1 pulse regulator for sale as I now have the oxygen build into the Cirrus and don’t need 2 portable systems. System consists of a MH bottle with portable carrying bag, the O2D1 regulator, mask kit and cannulas.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 30 Nov 00:04
EDLE, Netherlands

Aeroplus, I am interested in your O2D1. Sent you an e-mail.

Belgium

ploucandco: I will get you the details by mail later this weekend. Got your mail.

EDLE, Netherlands

On the strength of Peter’s CFFC048 cylinder + O2D2 review, I recently bought those for my DA42-VI.

I completed the setup by getting a set of Oxyarms. Works absolutely excellent. I get 95% saturation at FL180 & hardly even notice I’m wearing the Oxyarms. Having the Oxyarm fixed onto the headset also makes for a very “streamlined” in-cockpit setup, as the oxygen tubes can be attached to the headset cable.

Also a full cylinder last almost 35hrs of use, single pilot. Great setup.

Sign in to add your message