Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PART-FCL and English

BackPacker wrote:

I have never seen a distinction between LPE VFR and LPE IFR. So while your LPF may be limited to VFR only (for the reasons above), as soon as you have an LPE, it would be valid for both VFR and IFR flight.

Yes. If your NAA requires a separate IFR English examination, then this is required for the issue of your initial IR. Once that is done, it is your ICAO ELP (level 4+) that matters. As others have stated, it is the ICAO ELP that allows you to fly into a country where you cannot communicate in the native language of that country.

Ref the VFR entries, it seems different NAAs do this differently. Some show VFR/IFR as separate entries; others have a “VFR-only” restriction which is removed when you get the IFR endorsement (by whatever route).

JTN
LKLT

BackPacker wrote:

But IFR R/T is always in English.

It’s not. In non-English speaking countries where the general English proficiency is not so high, it is common to hear national flight crews use the local language with ATC. In Sweden virtually all IFR R/T is done in English, but there is a complete Swedish IFR phraseology should you wish to use that language.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I took the Polish CAA ELP test back in June. They asked if I wanted the IFR or VFR version, so since I want to get an IR before the ELP expires, I went for the IFR version. Turns out I should have asked, because when taking the test I found out that I could have taken the VFR one and used it with an IR. Wonder if it will still be the case when I have to renew. Now if I only had a chance to use it… ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

As a side note, I think there is a proposal at EASA to merge VFR and IFR communications. So everyone would have to learn IFR phraseology. Rationale being that VFR-only pilots are in the same airspace and should understand what is going on, IIRC. Somehow they forgot that not everyone in the same airspace must necessarily use the same language to communicate. It contains other stuff like using open questions in exams instead of multiple-choice ones.

BackPacker wrote:

But IFR R/T is always in English.

Nope. French in France is perfectly accepted. Just listen to D-G approach…

LFPT, LFPN

sorry, getting back a little late on the topic.

as already said IFR R/T is not mandatorily in english.
It can be any ICAO language (FR is one) with the obvious limitation that you can’t use FR outside France bascally

And yes, for some reason France distinguishes VFR and IFR with an apprently noticeable difference in difficulty (which does not make sense but well…)
I will get my IFR R/T FR automatically once I pass my IR skill test.

And I will be sitting the FCL.055d (EN IFR) this friday in Orly…

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

PapaPapa wrote:

It can be any ICAO language

Where do you find the limitation to ICAO languages? AFAIK you can use any language for IFR as long as ATC officially uses the same language. Certainly non-ICAO languages are used for IFR by national carriers in a number of countries.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

actually, I don’t know if it is restricted to ICAO languages only.
I would have thought so otherwise you could just say, “there’s english and the other languages”

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

PapaPapa wrote:

you can’t use FR outside France bascally

You can hear French for example in Canada. Or Switzerland. And no, it’s not limited to “ICAO languages” AFAIK. This is governed by law and sovereign states can make whatever law they want. I don’t think there are many states that would outlaw an official language. And you can have military or VFR pilots on the same frequency. When you are under the control of ATC, it’s their job to give you the information you need, in the language which you used to contact them. Anyway, ICAO can’t “force” a country to do anything. English is there so foreigners can communicate, not locals.

I think those languages are the ones ICAO uses to communicate. English is primary and they translate to/ from the secondary ones (French, Russian, etc.).

Martin wrote:

I don’t think there are many states that would outlaw an official language.

I have never heard IFR communication in a language other than one of the official ICAO languages. What you often hear is a mix where clearance etc. are in English and other stuff (like requests) in the local language. That’s e.g. how it’s done in Germany.

Do you know a country that performs IFR radio communication in its local language even though it’s not an ICAO language?

Sign in to add your message