Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pax airsick, no radio, CTR - what would you have done?

Malibuflyer wrote:

The reason is: An emergency always is a personal impression from the pilot in command at that specific point in time. Some might regard at some time a convulsion to be an emergency. Some others do not even an SEP engine failure as one

That is absolutely true. You could say that if all turned out well, it was the right decision in the end.

Malibuflyer wrote:

Both ICAO and EASA made a very conscious decision to never write down anything about what constitutes an emergency

SERA.14095 confines this in that by Distress and urgency conditions are defined as:
(i) Distress a condition of being threatened by serious and/or imminent danger and of requiring immediate assistance.
(ii) Urgency a condition concerning the safety of an aircraft or other vehicle, or of some person on board or within sight, but which does not require immediate assistance.

But the “life threatening danger” seems to be limited to naval operation, only. Interesting.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Chances are also very low, that this situation evolved to a real life-threatening situation.

Humans have a tendency to vomit when other humans are vomiting next to them; this would incapacitate the pilot, which is a life-threatening situation.

ELLX

From another “P*R***” today, re. airliner:
“Statistically, around 90% of 7700 squawks are medical emergencies.”

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Sebastian_H wrote:

Looking back at the situation, I wonder if I should have done things differently: Would you have continued about 25 minutes to the next uncontrolled field (EHMZ or EHSE) to avoid busting into the CTR without clearance and unreliable radio?

Can’t say.

It all depends on the feeling the moment the situation happens. You made a decision, nobody was hurt, hopefully no commercial flight doing a go around because of you and now you’ll have to deal with the following paperworks of an emergency. So, all usual business and fine.

Regarding decision making in the air. If a PAX vomits in a GA cockpit it may only be annoying, or it could be dangerous i.e. when cramps follow. You don’t want to have RHS cramps interfering with flight controls! If the latter happens I would go for emergency situation, yes. What was the time to land from the situation, substantially shorter then the 25 min to the nearest uncontrolled field? Entering a CTR NORDO you really have to have an emergency, so yes, I would go for 7700 in that case also. If the situation is not immediately critical and the risk it becomes critical on the trip to the next uncontrolled field is negligible I definitely go for the longer trip without 7700. The paperworks post7700 after precautionary landing was annoying, so I don’t want to know what a busted CTR would add, not to speak of huge bills from traffic disturbed.

Regarding decision making on the ground. First, why was there no notice in the flight records on radio issues? Second, why a first time GA-Pax from a controlled airport? I read you did a pre-flight on airsickness, was there any specific reason you had to suspect the person to be a candidate for such trouble? If I had known of radio issues, I would not take off with a PAX, but only solo, maybe just the flight to the shop to get it fixed. If I had known or had to suspect the first timer to be susceptible to airsickness, I would think twice to take off from a controlled airport. I also tend to do very short trips with first timer, maybe 10-15 minutes and straight line flight, no procedure turns or steep curves or other potential stomach beating things etceteras. I know it is tempting to ‘show the big world’ in a CTR, but distraction from a first timer and maybe holdings and following controller add to a risk I usually don’t take with a first timer. Go for an uncontrolled sleepy airfield, do a 12 minute straight line flight to the next field, have a relaxed talk with the first timer, have time to do questions without traffic around you.

Take it as a learning lesson and try to develop a mitigation strategy. Had you any chance to foresee the PAX issue? If yes, don’t go flying next time, try later. Rethink using that specific aircraft again as there seems to be an issue with communication, or solve the communication issue following the undocumented radio issues result.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 10 Jan 09:32
Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Regarding decision making in the air. If a PAX vomits in a GA cockpit it may only be annoying, or it could be dangerous i.e. when cramps follow. You don’t want to have RHS cramps interfering with flight controls!

Not only that, but the smell of vomit induces vomiting in human beings. I’m particularly subject to this, so a passenger vomiting is one of my “nightmare scenarios” (much more than a radio or alternator failure); unless I have in the RHS a fit and “more resistant to the smell of vomit than me” able pilot, I would, without hesitation, treat it as an absolute emergency, having to beat the time before I, the only pilot, become completely incapacitated.

Last Edited by lionel at 10 Jan 09:52
ELLX

Sebastian_H wrote:

but has anyone experience with mobile phone connectivity in low-level flight?

Never had to use it but I have the number of the LVNL Area Control Supervisor ( 00 31 20 406 3999 ) stored in my Contacts and he/she would co-ordinate with Rotterdam in an emergency

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Never had to use it but I have the number of the LVNL Area Control Supervisor ( 00 31 20 406 3999 ) stored in my Contacts and he/she would co-ordinate with Rotterdam in an emergency

I keep my ANR headset on aircraft power, but with batteries for emergency loaded. As it has Bluetooth, in flight it is usually coupled to my phone anyways to get warnings and advice (CO and traffic). In the unlikely event of an emergency, I either call via phone or couple the handheld radio the same way. Risk mitigation is easy nowadays, but you have to be open for change ;-).

Germany

Thank you for sharing your experience.
In my opinion you handled a stressful situation very well before it could compound by indicating with the transponder that you require two things:
1) To land now
2) Attention/separation due to loss comm

I could see many others (myself included) self pressuring into flying to some small, unfamiliar strip or staying airborne to hope the problems subside in order not to inconvenience a „controlled“ airport, let alone „whoever else“ by squawking 7700. The thing is, though, that especially involving an airborne medical scenario one wants to land where medical facilities are readily available or at worst quick to arrange. That’s just not happening at a deserted grass strip. What if the airsickness turns out to be merely a symptom of a different, much worse condition? Then one has wasted time flying somewhere else, potentially aggravating the situation, has increased risk by landing on a potentially unfamiliar and unsuitable place and once on the ground no one is present to help.

The second reason to pick a known, familiar/or even homebased with/at and immediately close by airport whether it’s controlled or not is due to the loss comm. Yes, we all know the drill, but let’s be real here for a moment. Apart from 15-20 major airports in Europe, most airports are more or less sleepy regarding heavy metal, so you’re not going to inconvenience anybody.

Further, at a controlled airport, there is usually a published VFR nordo procedure, ATC will see your squawk, know you need assistance, will separate other traffic to stay clear of you and can give you light gun signals to clear you to land.
Sounds better to me than hitting the patrern of some of the uncontrolled airfields that are buzzing with all variants of GA traffic with a despairingly ill pax aboar where you will not be able to let anybody know you’re coming… See and avoid my a**.

Good job well done!
Declare early, declare often. Nothing happens.

Do you think you would have had more barriers to declare an emergency using voice/radio than by setting the squawk code?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I recommend to have at least the national AIS/ARO/VFSD or whatever available via Phone.

In Austria, they do this, and it makes sense.

Regarding the above case, my first action would have been to squawk 7600 and call (I have the numbers saved). However, without any phone numbers right at hand, better stick to KISS (keep it simple stupid) than to stall due playing around on the phone.

always learning
LO__, Austria

If it’s just lost radio, ideally one will avoid controlled airspaces or controlled aerdromes under VFR…if it’s an emergency and loss of radio, unless it’s busy airport with 3 departures every 5min, I would go for it with 7700, open my eyes, land and unload my passenger

The problem with going to controlled airports with lost comms and emergency is not landing, it’s takeoff: you need to fix your radio and that is likely to be a real challenge without GA maintenance there (one can depart CTR using VHF handheld, don’t tell anyone though )

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Jan 21:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message