Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Pilot watch" readability at night

Great pics

I’ve been to Zadar too and it is a super place to visit. Come to think of it, we could just do every EuroGA fly-in down in that part of the world and every one would be a great success

And sorry for the late reply, I have been away for four days in a row, including two layover days at Zadar, not the worst place to spend “paid holidays” :-) I even attended a concert there of “Seve nacionale” or Severina Vuckovic, one of the most famous pop singers in Croatia and all over the Balkans. Great show, wonderful atmosphere on the seashore under the stars and about the most wonderful audience I have ever encountered in such a concert – they knew every word of every song and sometimes the artist would let the audience sing an entire song alone (which were her only breaks during almost three hours of uniterrupted performance that lasted until two in the morning). I’ve been to quite a few expensive shows of world stars who would barely perform for an hour… If only she would sing a few songs in English or Italian she could extend her popularity all over Europe.

Having seen a “concert” like that at Brac a couple of years ago, I can completely relate to that. It was really nice to see everybody participating – even small kids. Such a difference from the scene we have here in N Europe where there is so much less cohesion.

In essence, he writes that the usual “Superluminova” dials are brighter than tritium lights (which must satisfy the ISO norm of 36 nano Candela (nCd) per square millimerer for dials and 10nCd for pointers) for about two hours and thereafter drop to 7nCd within 6 hours, the threshold for the dark-adapted human eye being 3.2nCd.

In that case, 6hrs+ ought to be possible if your eyes are dark adapted. If they are not, you have no cause to complain…

I managed to find a “cheap” used Fortis 597.22.141.3 (mail order) and will report in due course on how readable it is.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I managed to find a “cheap” used Fortis 597.22.141.3 (mail order) and will report in due course on how readable it is.

Very nice watch! The ETA 7750 movement has almost 2 days of power reserve so you won’t have to set date and day every time you wear it (other than my “even cheaper” Fortis that lasts barely more than a day).

EDDS - Stuttgart

I use a watch winder box for my automatics, it was not so expensive, it came from Amazon

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I use a watch winder box for my automatics

Gosh I never even knew these things existed… being a simple bloke whose knuckles only just stop short of dragging on the ground I thought one just wore a watch on one’s hand. But looking at the Amazon adverts for these winders, apparently a proper gentleman will have a collection of watches, which he wears on different occasions. Clearly I have not been revolving (no pun intended) in the right circles

Administrator

I can report that the Fortis watch is just about readable at night. Just about. It would be unusable in a dark cockpit if there is any peripheral light around.

I bought a used one and will probably get a watch repairer to glue a couple of tritium tubes onto the two hands

Administrator

What wasn’t mentioned above is the fact that blue luminescence is de rigueur for use by pilots and cabin crew at night; the reasons for this being so as not to affect the cabin crew’s night vision and also as the eye takes less time to recover when looking back in the cabin or through the cockpit glass.

The_Central_Scrutiniser wrote:

What wasn’t mentioned above is the fact that blue luminescence is de rigueur for use by pilots and cabin crew at night; the reasons for this being so as not to affect the cabin crew’s night vision and also as the eye takes less time to recover when looking back in the cabin or through the cockpit glass.

My FI used the very same reasoning to explain to me why the cockpit lighting was red. So shouldn’t red also work?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I thought green was the new red

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Blue is probably the worst colour for getting the eye to focus in low light.

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message