Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PilotAware (merged thread)

We do have the ability to provide ‘wired’ data in addition to ‘wifi’, the issue is there are not many displays capable of taking wired data.
The emphasis seems to be going to Android/iOS apps and these all utilise WiFi

There is also bluetooth.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

pilotaware wrote:

There will be an announcement shortly on additional work we have been doing in this area, and this will be described in full at the LAA rally

As promised, initial announcement made regarding the collaboration between PilotAware and 360Radar here
https://pilotaware.com/modes3d/

Thx
Lee

From above link:

This is a good development.

How many of these ground stations are out there and how are they funded?

Administrator

pilotaware wrote:

If you got any screenshots of the ‘arc of gliders’ would really like to see that

Sadly I was far too pre-occupied with looking for them to think of screenshotting the iPad. However, here’s a pic taken a little later, with the sky still ‘full of gliders’.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

Sadly I was far too pre-occupied with looking for them to think of screenshotting the iPad. However, here’s a pic taken a little later, with the sky still ‘full of gliders’.

scary, clearly at similar height as well from the symbol notation.
Thx
Lee

Peter wrote:

This is a good development.
How many of these ground stations are out there and how are they funded?

For the OGN-R stations, there are about 85 at the moment, with many in progress
For remaining OGN stations to be converted to OGN-R, I don’t know the number I am guessing about another 100+
For 360Radar, there are over 800 just in the UK!
So we would look to add PilotAware ReBroadcast to the best locations to fill the UK map for best coverage for our needs

For funding, we have been fortunate to be in a position to donate both RPi and the RF Bridge to the communities from our users who have upgraded from Classic to Rosetta.

Thx
Lee

Last Edited by pilotaware at 30 Aug 14:57

That is a lot of hardware which someone has to run, which is why I asked how is it funded, in the long term?

As with other products in this arena, one cannot fund it long term with hardware sales. There has to be an ongoing subscription somewhere, somehow…

Administrator

I am also considering Pilotaware or Powerflarm.
From what I understand, Pilot Aware is mostly usable in UK, based on ground stations, at least for Flarm transmission or C/S TPD for azimuth.
How does C/S tracking works in areas where there is no radar service (it happened to me last month crossing the Channel with bad visibility) or in remote areas like Maroc, Mauritania (where I will be in two weeks) ?

Jean
EBST, Belgium

only after i orderd a pilotaware rosetta I came round here and on other places to find out that FLARM does not work here in Switzerland as Groundstations are not updated, so i have a brand new one without use ;-( if anyone needs one for a good price contact me. Lucas

orderd a pilotaware rosetta I came round here and on other places to find out that FLARM does not work here in Switzerland as Groundstations are not updated

That is astonishing… the system is promoted very hard by many pilots.

I wonder if @pilotaware is still around?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message