Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Archer DX vs Avgas version

If I were to buy my first four-seater for VFR and some IFR cross-country flying, which of the two factory new aeroplanes would you consider? Considering approximately 200 hours per year.
The DX costs more but on the stats offers better range because of the better specific range and Avgas is getting more and more expensive. In some places, they can’t even sell it to visitors (Italy I heard).
I am aware maintenance is a big factor here, but I can see some schools in Europe that are using the DX and they seem to be doing fine.

Germany

Do the numbers and work out if the fuel price difference would make it worthwhile based on your planned usage. No one else can do it for. You as they don’t know how much you will fly or how you value the availability of non-avgas….

EGTK Oxford

200hrs is quite a lot of flying. That is probably the top 1% of GA, maybe less. For that amount of travelling I would not buy a PA28.

I would buy something with more performance. A PA28-181 is good for about 400nm with some reserves (depending where in Europe you fly) and will eventually climb to about FL130. In Europe that will place you into IMC and icing conditions a lot of the time. Also, unless you are flying an unusual mission profile (just a lot of short flights) you want a lot more range.

The only new higher performance contenders are Diamond and Cirrus, of course.

For the sort of money you are looking at I would buy a TB20GT, for maybe 150k for a good one. It will completely outclass any PA28 in every category. And you can get in and out easily; no need to climb over the top of everybody else

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flew a 135HP Thielert for 8 years. It’s more or less the same engine as today’s CD155. Here’s what I liked about it:

• FADEC – ease of starting up, no mixture, constant speed prop
  • extra range
  • possibility of using JET-A1 – buy fuel at Schiphol if you feel like it
  • turbo flies up FL160, no problem. No TITs and CHTs to watch.

Didn’t like:

• not allowed to start at low temperatures, especially on diesel

No big problems. One electrical caused by maintenance. One oil leak from the gearbox.
Would go for it again.

Last Edited by loco at 12 Jun 19:13
LPFR, Poland

I can’t even afford one. I am just a Frozen ATPL holder with a sheer passion for GA flying and I opened this thread just for pure curiosity. I also am a Piper “fan” that’s why I compared the two.

Maybe in a few years, I’ll be able to buy a share, but some VFR and IFR flying in UK and Ireland with trips to Germany. Occasionally Spain or Italy..

Germany
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message