Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper M700

I just read that Piper finally released the M700. I am really impressed by the specification which says it finally goes beyond the psychological mark of 300kt. It is supposed to replace the M600 and is really the plane the M600 was supposed to be from the beginning. The M600 has an overdesigned wing and a CG which requires serious balast in the engine compartment. So either the designer had been drunk or they actually had another bigger engine in find. Piper had a test aircraft with the FAA registered using the bigger -52 engine and did trademark the M700 name years ago. So it was clear this kind of plane was coming but still great they now did release it. I am just not sure where I put my lottery ticket as prices are below TBM levels but still an amazing lot of money.

https://www.piper.com/model/m700-fury/

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

prices are below TBM levels but still an amazing lot of money
as in….?
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Impressive runway performance numbers. 600M distances are pretty good for a 6000lbs SET. If only they had a steam powered option I´d be all in!!!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Antonio wrote:

as in….?

I read 4.1 million USD before extras and taxes. TBM 960 seems to be about 5.15 million USD. But there must be a big profit in there for Piper. I can not imagine this engine beeing so much more expensive than the previous PT6A-42A engine and the rest is more or less the same. As the M600 was about 3.5 million there is probably half a million extra profit for Piper ;-)

Impressive runway performance numbers

Yes and that is at MTOW. With less load it should perform even better.

It does not matter in Europe but in the US the M600 and now M700 seemed very popular among older pilots with medial issues. It was about the biggest plane to qualify for what they call “basic med”.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 07 Feb 21:43
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Yes and that is at MTOW. With less load it should perform even better.

Sure thing! But, of course the MTOW/MLW data is how performance is presented and comparisons are commonly made. Not to forget these data are based on all operational set conditions being met (and preferably understood by the pilot!) – no room for discrepancies.
It sure is pretty airplane, appearing well balanced.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

It sure is pretty airplane, appearing well balanced.

By SET standards this type seems not to have serious vices. No strakes, stall fences, stick pusher, etc

Piper are masters of recycling components in updated competitive designs, which in this case don’t look designed by the bookkeeping department!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

which in this case don’t look designed by the bookkeeping department!

The only think is maybe the hull. Piper did design a completely new wing for the M600 and M700 while the M500 wing is an updated version dating back to the very old PA46-310. But the hull is more or less still the same since the very beginning which means it can do only 5.5 psi differential pressure. The M500/600/700 are certified up to FL300 and in that case the 5.5 psi is really at the limit of what is acceptable. I think the TBM has got 6.5 psi which is probably what it should be.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Well, Sebastian, TBMs & PC-12 are limited to FL310/FL300 ceiling too. Could it be some certification limit? Or was your focus not the actual ceiling but the cabin comfort?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Or was your focus not the actual ceiling but the cabin comfort?

Yes in the PA46 at FL300 the cabin altitude is a bit over 10.000ft. The PT6 engine is pulling strong but that shows the hull with 5.5 psi was really designed for FL250 and not FL300. It works ok but at over 4 million dollars you might want to ask for the industry stamdard maximum 8000ft cabin altitude. So if they eventually want to expand into a M800 or M900 a new cabin will be required. The Epic is certified up to FL340 so this would be the opportunity to go the full way to FL350 or so and beat the competition.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

The TBM is 6.2 max, but will normally give you 6.0 at the ceiling, which is a 9800ft cabin.

Last Edited by loco at 08 Feb 18:12
LPFR, Poland
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message