Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piston ring flutter - applicable to our aircraft engines?

A google search found this piston flutter calculator

On my VW for my Onex, the potential ring flutter can start at 6753 RPM, which is about twice of the max RPM (3500). I would think a similar relation exists on lycomings.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That’s a brilliant find!

It does show one thing: flutter is nothing to do with the MP!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On topic:

Putting some values I found online for an IO360/IO540

(I do like the comment close to the low end of the spectrum in contemporary design) into the calculator produces 4684 RPM which is way above anything relevant!

Administrator

STOLman wrote:

Without doubt clearances need to be bigger in air cooled engines over water cooled engines.

That’s obviously true in general but there are exceptions and (I think) scope for development of air cooled aircraft cylinders. Aluminum cylinders are being developed and sold now for Lycomings and I’m interested to see how they work out. Air cooled motorcycle cylinders are smaller and perhaps less challenging than aircraft cylinders but have been made to seal properly over the last 35 years, with zero-low oil consumption and reasonable life. If you look at a Nikasil bored air-cooled cylinder with 150,000 km you may see zero wear on the cylinder, and only a little on the piston. I think the only reason they’re going to water cooling is high rpm, which is unnecessary or undesirable even for some motorcycle applications, and mechanical (not exhaust) noise issues that are inapplicable to an engine with a propeller.

With respect to clearances specifically, air cooled aluminum cylinders can run small clearances and even with steel lined cylinders you find some interesting exceptions: piston to cylinder clearance on old air-cooled 1970’s Ducati motorcycles with steel liners is only 0.02 to 0.04mm with Borgo pistons.

I think the issue in 2015 is getting a 2700 rpm large bore air cooled cylinder to seal up as well as a 8000 rpm smaller bore air cooled cylinder. It is not an issue with air-cooled cylinders generically, and I think the best solution may be to improve what we have versus adopting car technology… which probably wont happen anyway because almost nobody wants to fuss around with water pumps, hoses, mandatory turbocharging and etc.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Nov 18:40
Finding a cause for high oil consumption was the starter of this thread. Ring flutter was one of several reasons for it. But do we agree that this can only happen with clapped out piston grooves ? You see a typical 0,07-0,10 mm axial gap for the top ring, and only 0,03-0,05mm for second and oil scraper ring. So ring flutter should not be an issue with low time pistons as mentioned in the (German web site) link below. They correctly say that oil consumption will go up in time and that is what I had decades ago with a well worn BMW sports engine piston with about 50 000 km . That engine was trashed a lot with revs up to 7000 rpm to max hp . Just look closely in my pictures how wear in the top groove and the faces of the top ring have shown at this mileage. The oil control ring groove is still in limits with just 4,02mm . When you calculate a typical 60 km you do per hour on normal country roads so the piston in my photos has done 800 to 900 hours at average 4000 to 5000 rpm at least. Comparing conditions to Lyco operations that would be same amount of crank cycles like 1600 – 1800 hours with Lyco at average 2300 rpm. It is not the power setting that produces wear , it is rather cycles in the 4 stroke engine. You simply cannot do anything against piston groove and ring wear. One thing with aero engine pistons is the poorly matching combination of alu piston in steel barrel that requires 0,30-0,50mm clearance at 20 degrees. These figures will change A LOT with power settings and alitude temperature. I could imagine a lot of piston slap flying at FL XX at well below zero air temps and cruise rpm settings . You´d have to control air flow to the cylinders plus oil cooler to keep the engine within healthy limits. But that is not in the pilot´s hands on many machines. Sloppy pistons in steel bores will be seen in higher oil consumption and this is what Peter observed. Stuck rings will not help in this respect, so Diesel motor oil may be helpful having detergent properties at least as effective as synthetics. Vic

Piston rings

vic
EDME

Nice pics, Vic That ring looks just like mine but without the bevel

Looking at that site with the flutter calculator, it doesn’t suggest that the onset of flutter is anything to do with the engine being clapped out, or being operated at a low MP. The calculation, which sounds plausible, seems to be related to the motion of the piston and the height of the top piston ring alone.

I also cannot see a mechanism for flutter other than a resonant frequency / excitation related one. That is the case for control surface flutter: the excitation is the TAS of the airflow, and the resonant frequency is whatever the control surface has. Damping must also come into it but damping doesn’t change the resonant frequency; it can merely attenuate the flutter, possibly completely. In the case of the piston, where will the damping come from? The compression ring must be free to move in its groove otherwise it won’t work to seal the gap between the piston and the cylinder wall.

Administrator

@Peter I guess you haven’t read the text or the linked paper. Because it mentions cylinder pressure and also that this calculation is simple approximation for racing engines where the cylinder pressure is hidden and some typical value for naturally aspirated racing engines is used (as it doesn’t vary that much among such engines, according to the text).

PS: The basic idea seems to be that the pressure of gasses must overcome inertia of the ring and friction between cylinder wall and the ring to maintain a good seal. The thickness of the ring is used to calculate its weight, another simplification.

PS2: As for the second paragraph, AIUI resonance isn’t required for aeroelastic flutter.

Last Edited by Martin at 10 Nov 21:48

As clarified in posts #33 and 34

I think the paper is very interesting.

I did read it but didn’t grasp the simplifications. The ring thickness was however obviously a proxy for its mass.

I still do not believe flutter is responsible for the – apparently not disputed – higher oil loss at high RPM + low power settings. This is because the positive pressure on the compression (top) ring is present for only a very short portion of the 4-stroke cycle. The rest of the time the piston+conrod assembly is driven by the inertia of the crankshaft+propeller assembly, which IMHO throws out of the window the assertion that ring flutter is occurring (or if it is occurring, that it does any harm). The typical engine will have done of the order of 1000 landings by the time it reaches TBO which is of the order of 100 hours at close to no power (and nobody I know sets the governor to a low RPM; in fact most do exactly the opposite and select max RPM in the circuit to land) yet nobody I have spoken to has ever seen ring groove damage other than due to other known causes. One should be seeing almost universal damage if this was a real issue.

I think that if you can find a big hole in a theory, the theory has a big problem

Obviously it’s much easier to demolish a theory (using this method or any other) than to create a new one, but I am happy with that

Administrator

@Peter Yes, but who says there has to be pressure on the ring all the time? Lets think about it. To get a fluttering ring, there must be “fighting” going on. There are four strokes. During intake, friction and inertia (for short, I’ll just use F&I) push the ring away from crankshaft (up) and there should be low pressure in the cylinder as air is sucked in, no “fighting”. During compression, cylinder pressure increases and F&I are also pushing the ring down, again no “fighting”. Then there is expansion where they can “fight” (pressure pushes the ring down and F&I up). And last one is exhaust where pressure should be higher above the ring as gasses are expelled and, just like with compression, F&I are pushing the ring down (the pressure would have to drop so much that the ring would get sucked up). And when you look into that paper it seems that flutter occurs in a specific part of a cycle (during expansion – I just looked at it briefly some hours before, so I might be a bit off). Result of the flutter is loss of seal and excessive blow-by.

Last Edited by Martin at 10 Nov 22:53
Sign in to add your message