Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PLBs/ELTs Recommendations

The subject has long been confusing me. At the risk of passing some firm answers already given, am I right to state that
-) an ELT is inherently fixed to the airframe, whereas a PLB is meant to be carried on the person?

Yes and no. There are portable ELT’s which can be carried by crew, they are programmed like an ELT, activation is either manual or by water switch. They call this ELT AS, then their are PLB’s which are programmed completely different. Then you also have ELT AF which are fixed installations, which are operated by a G switch and can be manually activated.

An ELT can be programmed with either:

• Registration
  • 24 bit ICAO technicall adress
  • Aircraft Operator Designator
  • A unique serial number

The last two options are only used on airliners, the first two can be used on airliners and general aviation aircraft. Which protocol to choose depends on the country of registration. For example the Netherlands only allows for programming with 24 bit ICAO technicall adress.

-) some countries (Netherlands, but also Austria) require an ELT and will not accept a PLB as an alternative?

Correct, an ELT is required (AF), a PLB must be manually enabled, so is not considerd to be an alternative.

The following countries require an 406 MHz ELT, this list is not to be taken as complete.

• Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Chili
  • Danmark (Sondrestrom Flight Information Region only)
  • France (for general aviation an exemption to use PLB, but only when it does have a GPS receiver)
  • Germany
  • Netherlands
  • Sweden (for 500-2000 Kg aircraft an exemption to us PLB with GPS receiver combined with an old 121.5 MHz ELT)
  • Switzerland (for all aircraft, except historic aircraft, home builds and gliders)
  • Turkey

Apart from the list above an ELT is mandatory for all new aircraft.

-) if so, what other countries more? Switzerland, likely?
-) apart from the legal aspects, chances of survival are much better served by a PLB than by an ELT?
-) if so, why would said countries insist on an ELT?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

My brain hurts… After reading this and several AIPS

There is no standard way of communicating this with the AIPs, each country puts it in a different place within the document. If at all, Switzerland helpfully refer out to their (charged for) VFR guide!

There is also no standard way of implementing this. Sweden require ELT, but only for Swedish registered aircraft; Germany definitely require it for German Reg, but are worryingly vague on foreign reg aircraft.

There are time based differences for the kit you can install, and those vary from state to state.

When you add it all up we have a lovely standard European “Union” – why we can’t get together and actually standardise pragmatically I have no idea.

I haven’t even started yet on Mode S, but what I have seen is very recent updates to AIPs, Swiss and Czech as examples that now mandate Level 2 Mode S… Unless you’re a bigger higher level IFR machine I bet you only have Level 1.

Presently I am more confused than when I started, and all I want to do is bring a possible new G-Reg purchase from Blighty to Germany next month

EDHS, Germany

very recent updates to AIPs, Swiss and Czech as examples that now mandate Level 2 Mode S… Unless you’re a bigger higher level IFR machine I bet you only have Level 1.

Does anybody know what Level 2 Mode S is?

If it is Enhanced Mode S, you need that only above 250kt TAS, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Level 2, from what I gather refers to the transmit power.

I found in Czech AIP GEN 1.5 you need it for Prague TMA.

Edit – also Switzerland, but the details are hidden for VFR in the Guide… (@Peter, polite request for a :facepalm:)

Last Edited by italianjon at 13 May 06:26
EDHS, Germany

If at all, Switzerland helpfully refer out to their (charged for) VFR guide!

Your interent provider may be charging you for the download of the VFR guide, but Switzerland isn’t. Now there isn’t much in it about the ELT, basically only a recommendation to have a portable one for alps crossing.

Level 2, from what I gather refers to the transmit power.

No, it’s about firmware capability. Level 2 basically can downlink the aircraft identity (registration). See here. I haven’t seen one that cannot do this, and ICAO mandates a level 2 minimum for international operations anyway, so where’s the problem?

LSZK, Switzerland

HB registered ICAO annex 8 aircraft do need an ELT (FOCA TM 20.140-01), but I’m not sure this applies to foreign registered aircraft. The legal basis for the ELT requirement they cite for noncommercial operation is VLL, which states in article 1 that it only applies to Swiss aircraft. So IANAL but IMO if you comply with the ELT requirements of your state of registry, you’re good for Switzerland.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 13 May 07:09
LSZK, Switzerland

There is also no standard way of implementing this. Sweden require ELT, but only for Swedish registered aircraft; Germany definitely require it for German Reg, but are worryingly vague on foreign reg aircraft.

To my best knowledge for Germany an ELT is mandatory for all aircraft (which would include other registrations as well).

No, it’s about firmware capability. Level 2 basically can downlink the aircraft identity (registration). See here. I haven’t seen one that cannot do this, and ICAO mandates a level 2 minimum for international operations anyway, so where’s the problem?

tomjnx is right. Confusing bit is that level 2 indicates the operational capability of the transponder, while class 1 / 2 indicate the power output that was mentioned below. Level and class are not the same thing.
Class 1 has a minimum power output of 70 Watt and are allowed upto 15.000 Ft / 175 Kts TAS.
Class 2 has a minimum power output of 125 Watt and are allowed upwards of 175 Kts TAS
Above 250 Kts TAS a diversity transponder (two antenna) is mandatory (EASA)

Last Edited by Jesse at 13 May 07:41
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I think the only way to deal with this issue once and for all is to get

• an ELT – say €2000 if there has never been one before
  • a PLB – a few hundred € at most
  • Mode S – about €2000

and a life raft, say €1500.

Obviously anybody saying this is risking being called elitist, etc, but I know of C150/152 owners who spend more than this on every Annual.

And then you can fly anywhere you want and not have to think about any of this again.

Class 1 has a minimum power output of 70 Watt and are allowed upto 15.000 Ft / 175 Kts TAS.
Class 2 has a minimum power output of 125 Watt and are allowed upwards of 175 Kts TAS

What class is a GTX330, from year 2005?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

an ELT – say €2000 if there has never been one before
a PLB – a few hundred € at most
Mode S – about €2000

Would say ELT a little less and transporder a little more. I would recommend Kannad ELT, they are quite good, and don’t give to much false alarms. For transponder I would recommend Trig, Garmin or Garrecht in that order. After having done over 250 of them found that these give the best results / build quality. Where the service (should you need is) is really the best in General Aviation. A lot of company could learn from this.

What class is a GTX330, from year 2005?

GTX-33, GTX-330, TT-31, TT-22, are class 2 units
GTX-328, TT-21, VT-02 are class 1 units

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I would recommend Kannad ELT, they are quite good, and don’t give to much false alarms

Are they giving not many false alarms because they don’t give true alarms either? Or have they fixed their power amplifier design now?

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message