Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Preventing hypoxia

Very interesting – many thanks.

I have put the EASA leaflet here and have updated my original oxygen article here

Does NCO.OP.190 apply to all aircraft flying in EU airspace, or aircraft registered or operating out of the EU?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The whole of Part-NCO applies irrespective of aircraft registration country. Precisely: it also applies to foreign registered aircraft whose operators are established or resident in an EASA member state.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Nov 20:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So we are again back to the definition of established or resident, etc, as per the N-reg attack in EASA FCL…

Where is the actual wording contained?

Administrator

Aviathor wrote:

AMC1 NCO.OP.190 does not mandate the use of a pulse oximeter.

I was careful not to say it does
But I did not read the leaflet hence the “I think” used in the sentence.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Aviathor wrote:

For Part-NCO it is now left up to the appreciation of the PIC since a change published last summer.

Wow, that is a great example of deregulation, not? EASA go!

Archie wrote:

About time they face the facts in the U.S.?

Would those facts include the number of accidents where hypoxia at altitudes where oxygen was not mandatory was a contributing factor?

Biggin Hill

AMC1 NCO.OP.190 does not mandate the use of a pulse oximeter.

I don’t disagree with what you say. But I do think that anyone operating at high altitude should use an oximeter.

They can be bought new, for less than the cost of a landing fee at a small airport. Flying a single circuit, costs more than an oximeter. They are really the only good was of determining reliably self testing how much oxigen is in your blood.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I am in two minds about a Oximeters. They are great telling you how effective you oxygen set-up is in keeping you oxygenated, and allow you to adjust flow rates/pulse duration accordingly. So from the point of view of figuring out if you have to use Oxygen, and how much, they are great.

But are they really useful in a situation where the system fails without you noticing it? Will I be coherent enough to recognize that? Will I even remember to do the oxygenation check?

Biggin Hill

You need one which velcroes onto the finger. They are pricey.

The oxygen related accidents in the USA that I know of were cases of utter pilot stupidity, like the famous TB20 one over the mountains.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

utter pilot stupidity

I don’t know about them, but could the “stupidity” have been caused by hypoxia at a level that would normally be considered “safe”?

Sign in to add your message