Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Publishing photos of people

If i make a photo of people I know sitting in a cafe and put it on my private FB page

Private FB page… what is that?

that can only be seen by my friends

Say you have 100 friends (99 since you unfriended me a few years ago ) and each of them has 100, that is a publication to 10000 people. And so on…

then this is absolutely legal

Probably, maybe…

and ok.

Not ok.

But

When you have journalistic credentials

that makes anything ok; I understand that…………..

To my mind, once a person becomes part of the subject of a photograph rather than as part of a scene then the picture becomes of a personal nature and permission should be sought to take the picture, let alone ‘publish’ it. It worries me way that so many people today seem to have absolutely no problem whatsoever with taking pictures of people doing all sorts of things and posting them to facebook et al.

I couldn’t agree more. That’s for example why pics of people at fly-ins go only to the people who were there, in the group.

They agreed, and even kindly offered to cuff me for the picture (which offer I thought it prudent to decline).

People in Scotland just aren’t as open minded as they are down here… here you can buy handcuffs at Ann Summers! But everything is going downhill… the SIG SP 2022 is made of plastic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks like ou have no idea how FB is working ;-) You can/or cannot allow friend of friends to see your content. And a “private” page is one that only your friends can see.

I just checked that great photo of you where you have a coffee. And I have another one from Dresden where you smile into the camera. I can delete both, no problem. (Playgirl Magazine was not interested).

And a “private” page is one that only your friends can see.

You just don’t “get it”.

where you smile into the camera

That makes publication OK, evidently.

Administrator

To me, it’s not a question of law, more of ethics.
I have many “celebrity” clients and I’ve only ever asked one to pose for a picture and then further sought his permission to use that photo publicly for the purpose of promoting my business.
He gladly gave that permission.

Forever learning
EGTB

Say you have 100 friends (99 since you unfriended me a few years ago ) and each of them has 100, that is a publication to 10000 people. And so on…

I have about 100 FB friends, and their friends cannot see my content. So it’s only 100. What’s so hard to understand?

That makes publication OK, evidently.

It was not published. And I really have no idea WHERE i could publish a photo of you. I promise that I will not.

Last Edited by at 09 Oct 18:22

I have about 100 FB friends, and their friends cannot see my content. So it’s only 100. What’s so hard to understand?

The key to this is the word “computer”.

An additional clue is “right click”. If more clues are needed, how about “Save As”?

Administrator

Ah, you mean 100 friends of mine could all save your picture and then send it out to another 100 people. The idea is funny, but yes that is possible. Possible, but very unlikely to happen.

People who want your photo come here and copy your pictures from euroGA.

I am (obviously) not talking about pics of me. Nobody wants those. I am talking about your view on what is apparently ok for a “journalist” to do, and the belief that putting stuff on FB is not “publication”.

Administrator

Yes, journalists make pictures for magazines at airshows. This is very interesting information for the community.

Let’s please stop this boring thread.

Last Edited by at 09 Oct 18:54

Alexis wrote:

But I think your friend’s friends can see your content when they become tagged…

Last Edited by Ted at 09 Oct 22:57
Ted
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message