Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions after WAAS upgrade ....

If the knobs on the GNS430W don’t work, it is not a local fix. You have to have Garmin repair it at the fixed cost.

KUZA, United States

Flyer59 wrote:

Why do i get … and TERM (not ENR) when all i do is a normal “Direct” to my VFR home field?

Only a small point but it looks as though the reason you got a TERM indication, rather than ENR, was simply one of distance. The GNS boxes change from ENR to TERM at a range of 30nm from the destination (and Straubing to Landshut appears to be 30nm, so you were never far enough away to get a ENR indication).

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Auto switching is a feature/function of the GNS430W. It does this based on a pilot configurable setting that can be enabled or disabled (excepting the KFC225 or KAP140). The criteria used for auto switch are:

When the ILS approach is activated (and the correct ILS frequency is active in the VLOC window), the GNS 430W automatically switches within 1.2 NM left or right of the final approach course. This switch can take place anywhere from 2.0 to 15.0 NM from the FAF.

KUZA, United States

Flyer59 wrote:

- Maybe it was there before, but i have never seen it. When I away from the course (i switched to HDG to scud run home in 188 ft MSL…) … the CDI of the HSI turns yellow now? Is that a warning? WAAS specific?

This happens on my (non-WAAS) system as well. If I remember correctly, the CDI turns yellow when the track (or radial) is outside the scale of the CDI.

Interestingly, the non WAAS GNS430 will provide roll steering based on GPS for the full ILS. The WAAS version suspends outputting the roll steering command at the FAF on an ILS.

KUZA, United States

the non WAAS GNS430 will provide roll steering based on GPS for the full ILS

It must be creating a GPS overlay of the localiser track…? Does that work in Europe also?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, it works differently in the Cirrus with Avidyne Entegra.

Again: the DFC100 is the same A/P and it has only a NAV key.

Peter: You have a talent telling everybody who is not an electronics engineer that they’re too stupid to understand things. Of course Achim is good at that too ;-)

I would be much happier with this thread if i got some answers to the questions i asked. I need no lectures at the moment.

Timm Preusser of COPA, who is a german electronics engineer and does many seminars for COPA, told me that there is no operational difference between always using the NAV key instead if using the GPSS key.

@DanielB

Thank you for that information. I thought about that too, and i just made a short hop in minimum VFR conditions … and it looks just like that! Could not test the LPV VFR because of fhe wx and did not feel like filing a FPL ….

@ TJ and NCYankee: thank you!

@ NCYankee

Ok, made a short test flight, actually very short due to a very low ceiling, and I didn’t feel like filing IFR for that short test ….

This is what I seem to have found out:

- the GPS and the PFD both show “TERM” and “TERM GPS” when I make a direct to a very near airport
- if I make a direct to a far away airport there’s only a “ENR” and “GPS” (PFD) indication
- the “GPS deviation” indicator which actually uses the localizer visualization on the PFD is ALWAYS on (didnt’t have that without WAAS)

Also it’s right: If the HSI-CDi is is “out of range” then the CDI turns yellow. I never saw that with the normal navigators, but maye it’s because i never flew oof course that much …

PS: The right large knob of #1 is definitely bad, works only every now and then … Of course I can (for now) use # 2. In my Cirrus though – if the battery 1 fails then navigator # 2 will go offline. So maybe I will just switch the devices (although I’m not sure yet if I have to change their setup for that)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Oct 16:27
Sign in to add your message