Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quick schengen Italy/Croatia question

Goodness me!

What about flying Schengen to Schengen within the EU? Can’t I simply fly from a non-port of entry in one EU/Schengen country to a non-port of entry in another? Surely that would cover both customs and immigration? Otherwise what on earth is the point of it all?

It’s even more confusing because the Italian AIP entry (above) seems to suggest this can only be done – as far as Italy is concerned – if (a) the “Control Traffic Office” (whatever that is) is informed 3 hours beforehand and (b) the carrying of appropriate passports is mentioned in item 18 of the flight plan (however that is done!).

Would that apply, say, to a flight from a grass strip in Germany to another in Slovenia – both EU and both Schengen countries?

United Kingdom

What about flying Schengen to Schengen within the EU? Can’t I simply fly from a non-port of entry in one EU/Schengen country to a non-port of entry in another? Surely that would cover both customs and immigration?

Yes, you can.

It’s even more confusing because the Italian AIP entry (above) seems to suggest this can only be done – as far as Italy is concerned – if (a) the “Control Traffic Office” (whatever that is) is informed 3 hours beforehand and (b) the carrying of appropriate passports is mentioned in item 18 of the flight plan (however that is done!).

That appears to appliy to where a Customs clearance is required, but the airport is not a Customs airport. This is a useful concession. I recall Italy had something similar for Immigration too (search for Oristano).

Would that apply, say, to a flight from a grass strip in Germany to another in Slovenia – both EU and both Schengen countries?

Yes you can do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Practical tip: Portoroz as a stop
Nice airport
Nice town
Affordable Avgas

EDM_, Germany

Yes I am looking at Portoroz as a likely possibility. Inside Schengen and EU. But, unless I have misunderstood that Italian AIP entry, if I flew direct from Cremona I would still have to do report to Cremona’s “Control Traffic Office”(?) and mention I have a valid passport in item 18 of the FPL – all of which makes an absolute nonsense of EU + Schengen rules.

United Kingdom

I’m doing it tomorrow aviosuperficie to Brac. If you don’t get news from me it would mean that was not possible and I’m in jail…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

From where in Italy Romain? Cremona?

United Kingdom

No a private airstrip south of Padova (LIPU)

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

@Stodge
Are you confused yet? I am & I fly these trips.
Portoroz, if convenient, is great, fast and easy on customs/ immigration formalities.

Tököl LHTL

If you’re going from a private airstrip near Padova will you be informing Padova as per the AIP that you’re going with three hours notice?

And if you do go, will you put the note in item 18 regarding passports?

Curious because I will soon be in exactly the same position regarding Cremona.

(Whiskey Papa – agree about Portoroz, but that’s not my worry. My issue is getting the Italian exit side right.)

United Kingdom

Yes i will do per AIP… It will be the first time I will use this “procedure”.
In the meantime I got news from other pilots flying at this airstrip that they already do it for Croatia and it works straightforward…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
Sign in to add your message