Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RAM mount for phone/tablet in a DR400

Hi all,
I am exploring options to hold a phone or tablet in the DR400, other than the classic suction cup on the canopy (not particularly convenient nor safe as it prevents an easy opening of the canopy itself). The thing is that there are not many mounting points available (no yoke, panel completely covered by instruments). I am considering this as an option but it’s unclear to me how stable it is: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jvLTyJUcfxs/UY4lhxlCLYI/AAAAAAAAEcM/k4qe7x0LQVI/s1600/iPadMini004.JPG
Does anyone have experience using the same setup? It is also mentioned in the blog that it only fits on the side as the center part of the glare shield is too thick.
I am open to suggestions for alternatives.
Ah, last thing, I wrote RAM in the subject because I already have the arm and the holder, I just need a suitable clamp, so anything RAM-compatible with a B-size ball is fine.

Last Edited by Seba at 10 Feb 15:14
LFST, France

There seems to an almost infinite number of RAM mount options! I’d be concerned that this one might damage the glare shield if clamped tightly enough to stay in place.

Another possibility would be installing a ball mount on the top/outside of the glare shield, perhaps on an L-bracket so the ball faces aft. That would put the tablet where you’d want it. Just a suggestion, I have no experience with the type.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Feb 16:11

Silvaire wrote:

Another possibility would be installing a Diamond base ball mount on the top/outside of the glare shield, perhaps on an L-bracket so the ball faces aft. That would put the tablet where you’d want it. Just a suggestion, I have no experience with the type.

Yeah that would be cool but I need something that can be removed after every flight, I use a club aircraft.

LFST, France

Talk the club into installing a ball mount on both sides of the cockpit and everybody wins

In my experience life gets a lot easier when you get away from tablets on your knee and/or suction cups.

Silvaire wrote:

Talk the club into installing a ball mount on both sides of the cockpit and everybody wins

In my experience life gets a lot easier when you get away from tablets on your knee and/or suction cups.

Haha, wish that was an option :D

LFST, France

When I was looking for a solution to this, I wasn’t happy with any of the commercial offerings. So I eventually come up with something myself.

I wanted a decent size tablet / iPad. For me a phone is fine for following a plan, but it’s too small to help replan inflight (common for use VFR pilots flying any distance).
An iPad Mini seems to be most people’s favourite size, presumably because it easier to replan than on a phone, but not so big that it blocks too much of the panel.

But personally I wanted a full size tablet. More screen space makes things easier (especially those times when you want to be able to see the plan or airport info without having to take the map off the screen. With full size tablet/iPad, I think the only real option is to have it on your lap/knee. But having a lose object there is not so good, and you don’t want to have to be minding it all the time. The the commercial options at the time were specifically for an iPad and if the size changed with the next generation, you’d need a new one and none suited me perfectly and all were quite expensive for what they were.

So this is what I did.

Someone that I’d previously done a favour for, and who has some metal working skills, cut me a small piece of aluminium , with two holes in it.
I got some wide elastic cord and passed it through. I got some Velcro tape with a sticky back on it and attached to each end of the cord.
This meant that I could wrap the elastic around my leg and thereby attach the “aluminium board” to my leg.
On the board I added two strips of Velcro

Then I got one of those cheap plastic covers for my tablet, and I added the other side of the two Velcro strip to the back of it.

When I want to use it, I attach the board to my leg with the Velcro straps, I put the tablet into the cover and attach it to the board with the Velcro.

It works really well, and the other leg is still free for my paper knee board.

When I changed my iPad3 for a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, all I had to do was buy a back cover for the Tab 6 and add two strips of Velcro and all was converted.

This setup also means that if you change your preference between portrait or landscape, it’s no problem, just turn the table to the orientation that you want before sticking the Velcro together.

Total cost was less than €10 (plus a favour already done for a friend!). The elastic/Velcro can be bought on ebay. The only hard part to source is someone able and willing to put a piece of metal!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’d find it hard to believe there is not enough space on the panel to put ram ball mount on somewhere permanently. The B-Ball size, or even one like this would take up very little room.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ram-Mounts-379-U-M81208-M8-1-25-threaded/dp/B00D8WIWIE

I use them all the time on anything I am keeping. I have no faith in suction cups. I found there was very little space in the DR400 for clamping on a mount, so a ball mounted to the panel would be the best option I think.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

I think the only real option is to have it on your lap/knee

I have considered that, and it’s one of the options I might go for, but I want to try using a holder first. I am oriented towards a small format tablet so it wouldn’t take up too much space

WilliamF wrote:

I’d find it hard to believe there is not enough space on the panel to put ram ball mount on somewhere permanently.

It’s not about the space available. It is a club aircraft and modifying it is out of the question, that’s just how it is.
I need a plug-and-play solution that can be installed and removed quickly.

LFST, France

WilliamF wrote:

I’d find it hard to believe there is not enough space on the panel to put ram ball mount on somewhere permanently.

That’s certainly true, but I’m guessing that the reason it’s not possible to add a standard ball mount to the panel is probably either financial, regulatory, or club “politics”.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

or club “politics”.

This

Has anyone tried one of these wedges? https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/ram-tough-wedge/universal-mounts
Once inflated it is for sure stable but I wonder if even the longest arm is long enough once I put this on the left side (center console needs to be accessible).

LFST, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message