Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Red Bull Air Race in Cannes April 20th - 22nd

Hello everyone,

I’m planning to attend the Red Bull Air Race in Cannes with some friends. My guess is that Cannes airport LFMD will be restricted that day, so will probably drive there. I have seen no notam, though.
Is anybody else coming too? Would be great to meet there.

Cheers

LFNR

Sorry I had to choose with AERO (same weeekend).
Instead of making a fly in to celebrate aviation in all it’s forms, of course LFMD will probably be very restricted for light GA during the event, not to disturb our biz jets friends.
So I chose AERO.

Would have loved to do this :

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 20 Mar 07:16
LFOU, France

According the last Info Pilote (French aeroclubs monthly), Cannes will indeed be restricted as follows :

• for IFR traffic, PPR mandatory for parking + a handling fee of 60€ +VAT
  • for VFR traffic, airfield will only authorize locally based traffic during the whole weekend

Well, not much surprising

LFOU, France

Yes I saw that in Info Pilote too.
I’ve bought tickets for Saturday 21st, so I’ll drive to Cannes from Salon (LFNE), past Aix (LFMA). Avignon (LFMV) is also not very far. Happy to give a lift to any EuroGA member!

LFNR

Planning to go there too.

Some notams and one sup/aip have been published for the past weeks / days.

LFMD is very restricted :
> Parking
- VFR is authorized only for based aircraft. Non based aircraft are excluded. (
- IFR is authorized but PPR is mandatory. Handling is also mandatory.

>Flight
- SUP AIP creates a ZRT which will be active from around 0800z to around 1630z for Fri, Sat and Sun (without dead time).
During the ZRT activation, NO FLIGHT CAN PENETRATE. The ZRT activation can be postponed to a maximum to SS+30 if weather grounds the aircraft on the morning and the competition is delayed.
According to the local DGAC contact I got on the phone, any IFR flight coming after ZRT deactivation, even with a PPR, can expect a pretty restrictive slot.

Nearest airport is Fayence (grass), but a notam requires to get a PPR for parking (they expect a lot of aircraft).

Personally, if I can’t go to LFMD (I am awaiting confirmation on the availability of an aircraft which is LFMD based), I probably will go to Cuers or Aix.

LFBZ, France
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message