Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Removing ice before flight (pump-up dispenser and fluid type) - merged

TKS fluid is an Anti-icant not a De-icant! It stops ice gett adhesion to the wing, no damm use for removing it!

TKS fluid is an Anti-icant not a De-icant! It stops ice gett adhesion to the wing, no damm use for removing it!

Well, when I’ve flown TKS-deiced aircraft, got ice on the wings and turned on “de-ice”, then the ice disappeared…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The TKS fluid does dissolve ice, but it doesn’t dissolve it anywhere near as quickly as e.g. the sort of aerosol windscreen de-icer you buy in garages, which dissolves it almost instantly, but which might contain some nasty corrosive stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

but which might contain some nasty corrosive stuff

According to the MSD, this fluid contains ethanol (30-60%), Isopropyl alcohol (5-10%) and ethylene glycol (1-5%) + water? and some denaturing agents. These are all antifreeze agents, but also de-greasers (solvent). Too much of it cannot be good for hinges etc, but no worse than gasoline I would think ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

removing ice at LFLA- Auxerre after a chilly night some years ago. We were lucky the temperature was just above freezing. and my backpack was heavy enough to keep tail down and increase the effective area..

LKKU, LKTB

Pilot DAR this can be true and normally I use this http://www.aero-sense.com/de-icing-chemicals-for-aviation/type-1-fluid.html#.VKMnYMnisQk
But my 50 Liter was in the Hangar 50km away, I know poor planing :-(

EDAZ

I am just using TKS fluid (cold, not preheated) and spray it on the aircraft. It works well. Ideally you would preheat it, but I keep the TKS garden spray thing in the back of the aircraft and early in the morning I don’t take the time to preheat it. It seems to not be necessary.

EDLE, Netherlands

Nice to see you back here!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Boscomantico. Been busy flying and working :-) Thought it was time to catch up again.

EDLE, Netherlands

Goodness me, Aeroplus!! You guys are REALLY keen, I can see that! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Bordeaux
Sign in to add your message