Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Replica 80% size Spitfire

I just saw this ad online… it looks magnificent! Has anybody flown in one?

Spitfire

Are they classified as a home built permit A/C ? Could it be flow around Europe (VFR only) or would there be restrictions ?

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

No, Yes, Yes – for the next 2 years at least.

I wonder is that the one my friend Gerry had stop on him coasting in over the English channel…. Can’t be too many of them. I wouldn’t want a jabiru powered anything. Much less a spitfire.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

A Spitfire that does 140 kts WOT? It may look cool fun, but sounds of very limited interest. Kind of plane you will get bored of quickly. After 80 hrs of flight for example.

LFPT, LFPN

80% size would, if nothing else changes, result into 2/3rd of the weight, so 200 HP is clearly not enough… although with a lower speed, the structure could be weaker and weight lower.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

80% size would, if nothing else changes, result into 2/3rd of the weight, so 200 HP is clearly not enough… although with a lower speed, the structure could be weaker and weight lower.

Half the weight. But still..

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Right.

Biggin Hill

The Australian company that makes the kits now offers a 90% scale version

Paul Fowler at Enstone has been trying to put together a full squadron of them , but things are moving slowly with one finished and another under way.

The 430HP Mk26B (they don’t actually use the word Spitfire) performs about the same as a 200HP RV-8 but with less cockpit room, payload and range.
It does look impressive though.

Now, if you really want a replica Spitfire, I think this is the gold standard!

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

The full scale version looks great. Even if the 80% size one is underpowered I still think it looks lovely – maybe just good photos :-)

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Remember also that the original had to carry armour and weaponry so a replica can be much lighter. The mk26b does 230 knots at low level. Wartime spitfires were faster… But they were not hugely faster at sea level and I suspect their vne would be less conservative.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message