Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Resources for familiarisation to flying in the US

Just to confirm that everyone – whatever license they have – MUST have a current BFR.
Theoretically, a FAA BFR taken in the UK should cover FAA items: Understanding American Airspace; Knowing your way around FAR/AIM; Interpreting US Sectionals. IF this is done in your FAA BFR in the UK, then that is one more thing covered before you go.
To help you with the FAA BFR, and give you an insight in to FAA/US regulations, you can either use the book, or the App http://www.asa2fly.com/Flight-Review-iOS-P1993.aspx, Guide to the Flight Review: For Pilots & Instructors book by Jackie Spanitz. Either method is easier/pleasanter than plowing through FAR/AIM itself.
I know you are NOT going to fly in Florida, but a useful guide was produced by ‘The Flyer’ a few years back: Flying in Florida by Phil Stone. ISBN: 0-9532752-3-0. The first half of which is a very good overview of VFR flying in the States. [You might be able to get it secondhand through Amazon or abebooks.co.uk]

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Update: There is this morning a copy of Flying in Florida on Amazon.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

If I was planning on flying in another country, I would read thru their AIP. The FAA publishes the US AIP and it can be downloaded for free at https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIP.pdf

I would pay special attention to GEN 1.7 differences from ICAO and ENR sections 1-1 thru 1-10

KUZA, United States

Regarding the free version of ForeFlight. I would recommend that you purchase a licence. There is a 3 month purchase for $50 and a full year for $75. You can download the app from the Apple store for free and select a purchase option from within the App.

The 30 day free version has limitations, you can’t download charts (you can obtain charts via the internet, but they are not saved on the device for flight). Also, you can’t file a VFR or IFR flightplan. These limits don’t apply with a purchased version.

KUZA, United States

Fuji_Abound wrote:

you havent flown in the States before you will not find there are a huge number of differences. Having just come back each time I always find it takes a short time to get accustom to AT. They tend to speak more quickly and of course they dont speak English :-) – or is it the accent!

Commenting on this point specifically, based on my limited experience of flying in Europe compared to much more in the US: in Europe ATC involves fairly lengthy detailed ‘conversations’ in precise language between ATC and any given aircraft, with all the time in the world and little other traffic involved. In the US, there is often a lot more traffic on frequency and ATC (certainly VFR ATC, which is my experience) is in staccato bursts to each aircraft, with ATC keeping everybody going in the right direction by a more tactical method. More like an auction than theatre, if that makes sense.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 15:10

Silvaire wrote:

More like an auction than theatre, if that makes sense.

Yes they certainly sound more rushed, even if they are not eg compare NY Center with London Control.

EGTK Oxford

Often they dont need to be, but it seems to be engrained. In Florida Maimi International gets pretty busy, but no more so than Gatwick or Heathrow. I think the bigest difference is they expect you to be “on your game” by which I mean know the frequencies to expect, know the hand offs and know what to expect. If you are knew to the area that is not always easy, whereas in England in particular I would say AT is more willing to hold your hand in a very gentle way (not always mind). However to be equally fair in the US I find they are fine with you slowing down the whole process, asking for what you need, and making sure you have it correct – far better that way.

As JasonC says I think it is all impression, and I agree Jason I am not sure they really are any more rushed. A bit like their attitude to busines make out they are always on the edge, but plenty of time for early coffee, mid morning coffee, lunch, mid afternoon coffee etc.

On yes, I think US ATC are often very helpful with things like weather requests that will be laughed at in Europe. They will even volunteer things to help you which doesn’t often happen in this part of the world.

I have never seen any ATC more frantic than NY Center when I flew into Teterboro last year with a lot of weather diversions. In Europe they can cope with similarly busy sectors without the need to sound so busy.

But I love flying in the US and so will you.

EGTK Oxford

I wasn’t talking about NY Center or London Control, airliners or biz jets, as I don’t believe those operations are greatly applicable to the OP’s question. My comparison was for ATC frequencies where light aircraft typically operate and where ATC contact is the rule, not the exception. In the US if you’re talking to ATC when VFR, it’s likely to be a very busy area otherwise it’s not required and you don’t bother. Conversely, in Europe you’d often talk to ATC because the airspace is so complex you want them to clear you through it, but the actual traffic density is so low you need to announce yourself, maybe twice, just to wake the guy up. Therefore, I think many European light aircraft pilots who might contact US ATC are likely to hear ATC communication different than they are used to.

If you are talking to ATC in the US in a quiet area, for whatever reason IFR or VFR, they will also have time to communicate in the slow, every detail covered way that is typical of Europe, if that’s what you request. Sometimes they start a conversation in plain English instead, I suppose out of boredom. Even more so I’ve found if they have never heard of your type aircraft

It’s also worth noting for the OP that there are substantial regional differences in ATC cadence and attitude within the US. On the eastern seaboard they tend to be more abrasive and less patient, as in normal life. So if you’re going to listen in preparation to US ATC on-line, listen to an area not too far from where you’re going to fly.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 23:25

I have a BFR test, legally given to me when I rented in 2010, scanned as gifs, which I could send you. Lists flying manoeuvres, then pages of X-Choice. (12 A4 pages + 1 page with the answers.)
Advised doing Wings online program first, and gives address, if it’s still there.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message