Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Robin DR400 & Shadin Miniflow

Has anyone out there got a Shadin Miniflow fuel flow system fitted to a Robin DR400 ?

I don’t know of any owners but the installation should be simple enough.

All these units use the Floscan 201/201B transducer, and you need to get some firesleeved hoses made up. On a Lyco engine, the transducer normally goes between theengine driven fuel pump and the fuel servo (or the carb) and since all items involved are US made, both hoses are thus US-threaded on all ends and are cheap – c. 60-70 quid.

If you are unlucky you may need metric (ISO) fittings but I can’t see why unless the hoses are going to US-metric converting unions which are probably pointless and can be replaced with AN fittings. ISO hoses are a problem; they are favoured by Socata (French firms buy French fittings even if they cost 10x as much as US ones – literally) and one of the very few firms that make them is Aeroquip in France who are not, ahem, interested in selling, ahem, anything really. I got some of these made up by Saywells in Worthing who have a Parker (Aeroquip’s parent company) dealership; it took about 4 months to get them (I am told this is deliberate Aeroquip policy on parts they sell as OEM parts to aircraft makers) but at least they were about 1/4 of Socata’s price.

I suspect the Robin manufacturer will be doing similar French antics on parts sourcing as Socata.

Check the UK CAA AAN database for previous installs. Look under various keywords and keyword combinations because that database is poorly organised.

Have a read of this for an overview of how to get it wrong

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Jul 11:24
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter

I have found a UK CAA AAN for the application and this follows the Shadin STC for the Lycoming O-360 in terms of fuel flow sensor location.

As the system seems to be very sensitive to induced current I intend to screen all the cables from the sensor to the display unit.

What I have yet to discover is if the fuel flow numbers will display on a GTN650, the unit Is approved to interface with the Miniflo but I have only got to page 50 in the Garmin manual and it is not exactly a riveting read !

200 or so pages on and I have the answer !

200 or so pages on and I have the answer !

What is the answer???

The Shadin Miniflo

has RS232 data going both in and out of it. The data out of it is just the current FOB and the fuel flow and this goes to the GPS which knows the distance to run and the GS and works out the Landing FOB. The data into it comes from the GPS (ETE, probably, mostly) and from that the Shadin works out the various values which you can select with the rotary knob.

I would think the data out of it is the same old Shadin data stream which will be supported by just about every GPS. The data going back into it might not be quite so well supported, especially given the various “anti legacy” policies which are all the rage these days.

But if the GTN650 IM lists it then you should be in luck. Looks like you are

The installation is highly sensitive to flow turbulence which is why the STC for the actual engine etc needs to be followed closely.

The wiring also needs to be shielded to avoid errors caused by ignition etc pickup.

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Jul 17:03
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message