Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sad but quite interesting (French accident statistics)

What is likely to be the reason for the improvement?

That’s a big change.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t think a “classic CFIT” (flying into a rock while having a cup of coffee, etc) has ever been done in reasonable VMC

We had one doing exactly that in an Aquila a couple of years back. Perfect blue sky, smashed into the mountain. No cause of the accident has been found.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

What is likely to be the reason for the improvement?
That’s a big change.

It could be as simple as less flying due weather last year. Spring was wet. This autumn/winter was also wet.
Many grass aerodromes have been waterlogged for extended periods last year – ours has, as with many strips in th region.

Regards, SD..

I am not sure weather can explain such brutal changes. We will see when the FFA publishes the hiurs flown in 2019.

Unfortunately, it is not a trend. We have had a lot of fatal accident just in Feb 2020

LFOU, France

And for March/April/??? none…

Yes but that doesn’t count

LFOU, France

The BEA 2019 report is published.
As said above, it is very good for GA : -73% in fatal crashes ! “Only” 4 of those in the year.

Their report has an interesting analysis of VFR crashes related to bad weather conditions. Between 2010 and 2017, 25 such crashes occurred, 21 being fatal.
Of those 25 :

• the pilot didn’t ask for assistance 23 times
  • ATC could detect a potential emergency situation from the PIC’s behavior 19 times (and in 6 times they couldn’t guess).
  • ATC didn’t realize the situation in 15 cases (so probably those 6 cases + 9 others).

Conclusion : ask for help !!

It always reminds me of Renaud Ecalle’s crash

LFOU, France

I can find 3 fatal crashes on the BEA website : one was a private owner in a C172RG, the 2 others were homebuilds.
Still looking for the 4th one.

@Gallois, @Capitaine, do you have the hours flown by FFA in 2019 in Info Pilote ? I don’t subscribe.

LFOU, France

I don’t subscribe any more either. I stopped this year because I found that like many other such magazines most of the content became boring to me eg how to become an airline pilot or flying an alphajet the rest being press releases on new planes amd products on which I get a fuller and more rounded view on euroga.
But I will see if I can find out the information yoh asked for.

France

@Jujupilote I’m not sure the 2019 figures you were looking for are available yet. Normally all the clubs would send in the details of the number of hours flown during the first 3 months of the year and then in April the FFA would collate these figures ready for the AGM which I think usually takes place in May. I think this year everything has been delayed little.

France
Sign in to add your message