Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sennheiser dropping out of GA headsets

10 Posts
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not just GA, but all aviation headsets! What a pity. I have been flying with my Sennheiser ANR headset for over 10 years now and still think it is best value for money. All I had to replace were the ear cushions. I think I will look for a replacement one, just in case…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Critical mass is not there anymore. The market is too small.

United Kingdom

mdoerr wrote:

But here in Germany they have been supplying headsets to most airlines and also ATC ( * ). That is a good customer base. There is no need to develop new products all the time so all they have to do is continue their production. They should be able to make a profit from that, shouldn’t they?

( * ) From eBay a got a new ATC headset from Sennheiser very cheaply some time ago. It is very comfortable to wear but has a completely different plug. Maybe one day I will find out what the pins are…

Last Edited by what_next at 27 Nov 12:13
EDDS - Stuttgart

mdoerr wrote:

That would be all aviation, not just GA. How many headsets can be sold to ATC or the airlines? A lot more than to GA I suppose.

I wonder what is really behind this. I can’t somehow figure that this is not a profitable business, maybe just not profitable enough. Then again, in which other branch can you sell headsets for xhundred Euros?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There could be a patent lawsuit threat, for example…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was the work of the beancounters. The volume of business generated by the aviation segment was around 1% of corporate turn-over but the division was profitable. Sennheiser will continue in the ATC sector.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

@Peter_Mundy, I’m sure that it wasn’t the work of the much maligned beancounters, but instead a management decision based upon sound financial and other advice, and after careful thought. A successful company like Sennheiser is likely to have a very strong management team and such teams don’t look at beancounters’ spreadsheets in isolation and make decisions based upon such things.

My guess is that the board’s analysis of the competition led them to believe that any significant growth in market share was unlikely in the future at least without considerable investment and in its current form it was clearly a marginal (1%) activity for Sennheiser. Even if currently profitable it would have been distracting and diverting of resources. Far better for Sennheiser to concentrate that resource in an area of their business likely to produce a better return and a stronger future for the business as a whole. That’s what happens very often with marginal players – they choose to fight a better fight elsewhere.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

but has a completely different plug

Would that be a LEMO plug? Or was it used in a helicopter? If you post a picture of it I am sure someone will find a solution for you.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

Would that be a LEMO plug? Or was it used in a helicopter?

They do offer those headsets with with several different connectors, LEMO is one option (another would be PJ7 or Mini-DIN), but the default is open ended cable I think.

Last Edited by Martin at 28 Nov 21:20
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message