Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA news 2018 / 2019 (and flying IAPs no longer published / they are back now)

There’s a storm (and not one that would fit in a teacup) brewing over GNSS at non-ATC airfields. I’m involved with a proposal at another UK airfield and we’re getting the run-around. Yesterday the ball was bounced back across to the ATS side of the house. The tricky bit is that the CAA are only looking at issuing exemtions to the Air Navigation Order and consequently a denial has no right of appeal.

It’s a mess, not helped by the UK’s interpretation of ICAO FIS.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 22 Jun 16:53
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I see there are quite a few airspace change proposals (which includes introducing GNSS IAPs) submitted from many smaller airfields here and here.

The backlog continues to build faster than what gets completed.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 22 Jun 15:08

Perhaps mods would like to merge? There is another thread started today about CAP1122 etc.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The disappearance of EGKA IAPs came up earlier in this Shoreham thread (merged).

I took the opportunity of the last KLN94 cartridge still with these, to generate a set of identical IAP waypoints but ending with 0 so e.g. NITEN becomes NITE0. These were quickly generated by using the relative rrrddd notation from the existing ones (using 000.000/000.000).

I was going to say I am pleased to report that after inserting the new cartridge which no longer has the IAPs, the new waypoints are still there even though they were generated relatively. But actually I forgot to check that the IAPs really are missing (new cycle is 1807, effective 21 June).

I have the IAP and Jepp PDFs if anyone wants them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is, of course, not approved to use user waypoints for an approach.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Hmmm… a regular EuroGA reader will know that sort of thing is a hostage to fortune, in the “do you have a reference” way

The UK allows DIY approaches in Class G, regardless of registration. The FAA was thought (by many forum personalities) to have banned them in N-regs worldwide but it doesn’t look like it.

And an IAP flown at a Class G airfield cannot be illegal unless extended in IMC into the ATZ. Also one doesn’t fly them in radio silence; the usual terminology is “I will report on a long final”.

In summary I don’t see what is different between flying an IAP into an airfield which has not had an IAP for some weeks (say Shoreham) and into an airfield which has not had a [published] IAP for many years (say Goodwood, Elstree, etc – where “everybody” does them and always has done so).

In any real situation the circuit will be totally devoid of VFR traffic anyway.

This shows the waypoints:

Administrator

I recommend phoning EGKA to check the opening hours because the notamed figures may be wrong. For example for tomorrow it shows

SCHEDULE: 02-03 1100-1200 1400-1500 1700-1730 1800-0700, 04
1100-1200 1400-1500 1800-0800
, 06 1100-1200 1500-1600
AD CLOSED : NOTAM EG/C4230/18

but actually the times are

1100-1200 1400-1500 1700-1730 1800…

which has just the 30 minute open gap at 1730-1800 which on past experience could be really quite manic.

Administrator

Is there any update regarding progress they are making with ATC/IAPs at Shoreham?

Their staffing schedule seems to be improving and stabilising although still with no ATC (as opposed to A/G) coverage on Fridays and weekends.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I don’t know anything and have have asked someone there to comment.

Administrator

They have just validated a new ATCO (he was a SATCO there some time ago but rules are rules) so things are improving a lot.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message