Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA - worth a visit

My only experience around was when the airport was notamed as closed between 12am and 1pm (not A/G: you can’t land), we were 4 airplanes in the air around the area talking to each other “unofficially” which one was first, but that order went to the bin as we forgot about those in-line for taking offs, I did two go-around before landing (someone landed but slowly vacated and the other one managed to slot in for takeoff, both could have been avoided easily with good planing/spacing on my side), in my last attempt, I did a fast shallow approach no flaps at 100kts “for the C172 to get in”, my passengers found the go-around and landing experiences very exciting than the flight

If one has time, the costline Shoreham to Brighton is worth a visit by bus/cycle/walk?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Those short closures are a mess because you get several planes, waiting silently, non-radio, non-transponder usually, near the airport, and all head for base leg the moment it opens. I managed to be there at that time once and got out of there really fast… never again.

Previously, the airport would go non-tower during the closures and indemnity holders (basically all based pilots) could operate, but again the CAA blocked that as soon as they heard about it. Completely mad…

It is mostly a nice walk or bike ride to Brighton. The beach walk (the promenade) isn’t quite continuous however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry Peter, but why on earth would I want to land at an airfield which I never know might be open, charges me £33 for a 1.1t aircraft and then might tell me that I cannot take-off until they have a Controller available who is sufficiently rested, has had his lunch break and has taken the dog for a walk on the lovely beach you mention.
I did my PPL qualifying X-country to there in the sixties, without radio because the Jackaroo didn’t have an electrical system, had to hand start the engine, and the place was much busier than it is now…..and the landing fee was something like 2shillings.

The closures were notamed. I am not sure if they are still happening; I don’t think so. Give them a call.

On the ATC issue you can post your views here but there doesn’t seem to be any way this will ever change You can write to the CAA and ask them why they give Shoreham such a hard time.

Some more info was posted here. I think the airport is doing its best to get back to normality. As regards the ~£30 fee, I don’t know of any airport costing significantly less that isn’t an absolute dump – unless it

• is grass
  • is being run down
  • gets money from the local govt or chamber of commerce, none of which are available in (most of) the UK
  • gets some other subsidy from high value traffic (like e.g. Gloucester; see manager’s statements re bizjets being worth vastly more than light GA)

So we will have to live with these ~£30 costs – or emigrate to farm strips which are waterlogged 6 months of the year – which a load of Shoreham residents have done over the years, only for those who fly a fair bit to drift back quietly, buying up shares in the syndicates… There is no free lunch in GA, in the long run.

Administrator

Peter, as you say, even with the benefit of being a resident, “I am not sure” about the closures…. how do they expect us non-residents to be sure Shoreham is accessible. It’s just not what makes an airport a leisure destination, nor one that I would use for a business trip as I wouldn’t want to get stuck there if a meeting over-runs…
I flew into Lee-on-Solent yesterday, which has a newly resurfaced runway, modern buildings including pilot’s lounge and £19.20 landing fee. My base, Thruxton (EGHO), also has a good tarmac runway with lights, friendly staff and the restaurant serves tea in a proper teapot, on a tray with milk and sugar as well as many types of coffee. The landing fee is around £15, (I am not sure as I pay monthly) with a discount if you buy fuel. Have you been to Turweston, again with a good tarmac runway ( it’s very close to Silverstone circuit) and has a brand new very high quality admin building including a restaurant with fantastic views over the airfield and surrounding countryside…landing fee £15 but free if you buy fuel? And then there is Oxford, who actively encourage visiting light aircraft, none of these are in the slightest run down.

As I posted above, they are notamed. And today:

I would make the phone call for you but it is too early and I have to get my breakfast and then go to work I have right here the complete roster for October and you can probably ask them for the latest version.

Lee is heavily supported by the local council (it is a rather complete dump “poor” area) even with free / subsidised hangars etc. Nice airfield but in the middle of nowhere. I’ve been there many times, visiting mum in a local care home (she’s gone now).

Oxford heavily subsidises light GA with bizjets and commercial property income.

The others have probably not been asset stripped by the usual sort of property sharks like Shoreham has in years past, depriving it of most of the commercial property income Some other relevant posts here.

The bottom line is that the difference between £15 and £30 is £15 and relative to spending say £200 on avgas flying there? If you don’t use it you will lose it and then we get all the outrage on all the forums, like the Wellesbourne situation. I know there are people on the two “national UK sites” who say they choose their destination according to the cost of an all day breakfast, in the same breath as telling everybody to boycott Shoreham, but (a) they moan like hell when some place closes and (b) most of them fly about 10hrs/year.

Another thing is that one should never fly to an airport. One should fly to a destination. I know a lot of UK GA (and actually most of mainland GA too, especially the aeroclub activities) just flies to an airport and then flies back (perhaps after rearranging the seat occupants for logging / cost sharing purposes, or even munching up a fry-up ) but if they flew to visit the area, Shoreham would beat most of the cheaper ones…

And Shoreham is one of the very few UK airfields where you can walk somewhere. Most of them you throw several tens of £ on a taxi. I once spent £80 at Wellesbourne… Lee on Solent to Gosport is about £40.

Administrator

Somebody with some political clout needs to take the CAA to task over Shoreham. Far busier airfields in other countries operate just fine with no ground-based radio service at all – I don’t see why Shoreham can’t operate A/G or self announce when ATC takes their break (even if it’s VFR only it’s still better than the current situation).

Taxis to/from airfields are a complete racket too – I’m sure they charge extra. For instance the 3 mile journey from Cheltenham station to Gloucester airport cost over £20. I just hire a car at Gloucester now – it’s cheaper than taxi+train fare (even with fuel) and a lot more convenient.

Andreas IOM
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message