Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Short trip to LOIH with a nice walk after landing

@snoopy wrote:

Did you create the foreflight waypoints beforehand?

Yes I did so. This is my flightplanning like drawing the course in a map to be prepared for the mountains, The transfer to the GTN is done wireless by flightstream. This works very nice.

EDDS , Germany

I use foreflight as well, yes the rubber banding feature is handy. Which map do you use (standard or any extra paid)?
I find the standard aeronautical layer lacks elevation information. It gets a bit better if one deselects any map and turns on peaks in settings, but still not much data displayed.
I now use a georeferenced overlay of austrian icao chart. If you need it just reach out.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy I do use the street map overlay, because of the terrain structure. The peaks are visible, the passes and cables are invisible then, so switching between the overlay and nothing is helpful during planing. A georeferenced ICAO overlay would make it better, of course.

EDDS , Germany

I got this from a swiss pilot, hosting it on my drive so you can download it:
Foreflight Georeferenced Custom Map Overlay – Austria ICAO VFR Chart 1:500.000 – Year 2020

It’s not the highest resolution but it works better than the foreflight layer, and it’s nice to see local names of peaks and towns.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Great report Peter. Don’t know why I never thought of flying to LOIH. It is so much in my neck of woods (EDMG).

Wasn’t there any quarantine requirement on the day you flew?

EDMB, Germany

Same here. I was based for 10 years in Switzerland and landed at all the airports in the area, but somehow this one missed by attention. Very handy location for skiing at St Anton, Lech etc, as well as some smaller locals areas.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

“Downsides” of LOIH are:

• short runway
  • bumpy runway
  • day VFR only
  • frequent fog in winter
  • long mid-day break (flying banned) on Sundays
  • nothing in the immediate vicinity. Going to Bregenz on Lake Constance (20km) involves a rather expensive taxi drive or a combination of two buses. Any ski areas are even further away.
Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Nov 12:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great to see your labrador enjoys flying! Ours does too.

EGNC, United Kingdom

@Arun wrote:

Wasn’t there any quarantine requirement on the day you flew?

No, going there and staying below 24 hours means that there’s no quarantine required. But from yesterday on the airfields in Austria are closed anyway for leisure flights. :-(

bumpy runway

I can‘t agree on that @boscomantico. The runway conditions where good.

nothing in the immediate vicinity.

Nor I can agree on that. The „Alte Rhein“ is really worth a walk. We made about 8 kilometers by foot in this area and you may have seen the beautiful pictures. It is a nature reserve and well worth a visit. And the whole Ära is located right aside the airfield.

@JulietBravo wrote:

Great to see your labrador enjoys flying! Ours does too.

Since 11,5 years now she is our co-pilot. Good Irish girl. :-) It would be a pleasure to meet you and yours somewhen on a meet-up.

EDDS , Germany

boscomantico wrote:

short runway

And a pretty tight circuit which is expected to be adhered to fairly strict due to noise complaints all over the place.

boscomantico wrote:

long mid-day break (flying banned) on Sundays

Same thing for Altenrhein, but daily. Same reason too, quite toxic neighbours in Vorarlberg who are not really pro Aviation.

boscomantico wrote:
frequent fog in winter

November to January particularly bad, not only there, but the whole area. The area around ZRH is also notorious for that.
In recent winters things have improved though, thanks to warmer winters. We still get fog but a lot less. If you plan flights go for arrivals close to noon or afternoon.

boscomantico wrote:

nothing in the immediate vicinity. Going to Bregenz on Lake Constance (20km) involves a rather expensive taxi drive or a combination of two buses.

Well, the city served by the airfield is Dornbirn, not Bregenz. The center of Dornbirn is about 3 km away, from there are trains or busses going to Bregenz or Feldkirch. Hohenems also has a train station at about the same distance. A taxi there should be quite a lot cheaper or there is a bus stop about 500m from the airfield. There is also a rental car company nearby which will deliver to the airport if called ahead.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message