Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Short trip UK to Germany

Simple question really. I am planning a 3 day trip to Germany and would appreciate anyones’ views on which city to see. No raucous night life required but more peaceful, attractive ambience would be preferred. Obviously needs a GA field nearby. to the West rather than East would be preferred.
Thanks in advance.

UK, United Kingdom

How about Koblenz

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Munster and Hannover spring to mind

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It is really easy to find a scenic landscape or an interesting city in Germany. Koblenz is nice, but why not start with the capital of Germany ? Berlin offers East and West and has a lot to see. There are several airfield around. Easy accessible is the city center from Strausberg, EDAY – VFR only, by train (S-Bahn).

Berlin, Germany

Mainz is beautiful (EDFZ), Cologne, Bonn, Düsseldorf would be great for a three-day trip (Bonn-Hangelar, EDKB, Cologne EDDK, Moenchengladbach EDLN). These cities all have nice places on the river, lots of museums, cathedrals etc, good shopping, great food….and local beer, or wine (Mainz).

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Go to Cologne this Monday and all you ever need in life to complete your carnival experience is Rio…

Hamburg EDDH is also reasonably priced for a large airport and it’s a fantastic city. Lübeck is one of my personal favorites in the north, also with a great airport for GA.

Not an easy one. Germany, particularly the west, is not renouned for its picturesque cities (someone sent a few thousand bombers over here some time ago which left most of the bigger and medium cities destroyed).

Koblenz is what we call a Beamtenstadt here in Germany; really nothing particular. The airfield is scenic but the city isn’t. Hannover has often been given the “most daft city of Germany award”. Yet the airport is fantastic for light GA.

Mannheim also has a good airport but the city is nothing really worth seeing. Totally destroyed in the war.
Frankfurt much the same, although it has a special flair due to its skyline, the Main river and its international character.

Just fly for 45 minutes and be in Strasbourg or Nancy instead. A striking difference.

Freiburg is really nice, and the airport is very close to the city. But maybe little too far for you.

The nicest cities are found way in the east IMHO. Erfurt and Dresden are wonderful, and they both have very good airports for GA. If you are looking for smaller places, look at Görlitz or Bautzen (both have good airfields as well).

But all in all, I would save Germany for summer. When it’s warmer, you can make cruise on the Rhein river for example. Or visit the islands off the North Sea coast.

But I have concur with Achim: go to Hamburg.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Feb 19:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Where is your support for Lübeck, bosco? I thought that was your home town? I love it, very nice architecture and the Hanse history is very interesting and still very much alive. Of course Thomas’ Mann’s Buddenbrooks was my favorite book so I’m a bit biased.

It really depends what you think is pretty and interesting. Landscape, buildings, etc. or is it the flair? Berlin isn’t exactly pretty but it’s a vibrant place and it energizes people. It’s like New York in the 80s or Paris in the 70s, a place were things are happening. Strasbourg and Nancy are surely nicer than Berlin but they are rather boring compared to Berlin. Germany has the odd situation that its capital is actually the poorest place in the country with a lot of empty space. That brings a lot of creativity, a stark contrast to money places like London.

Hannover: go there when you have put a checkmark next to all other German cities. I think it’s mentioned in the book “1000 places you don’t have to see before you die”. Koblenz: go there as part of a Rhein tour but the city itself, nothing special really.

Try Düßeldorf. Nice Old Town with great restaurants and good ambience (I’m actually there now and Karneval is on! )

Fly in to Mönchengladbach which is very GA friendly and has ILS on both runways if you need it.

EGSC

Sure, Lübeck is wonderful, but it’s something I would really try to schedule for the summertime instead. The airport is OK but not a highlight. I guess locals are a lot more critical about it.

Otherwise I agree with you, we all like different things about places and sure enough, Berlin is one of those famous examples.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message