Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Simple GPS which can do approaches - Garmin GPS175, also Garmin GNX375

Any chance a Garmin 500 could work for you? Non WAAS?

EGTK Oxford

Well it would appear Garmin have just come out with such a unit. The Garmin 175

That is awesome, even at $5k which is not exactly cheap.

And the GNX375 adds what looks like a transponder, though it doesn’t actually say whether it is just ADS-B or Mode S as well.

The screen is too small for use as the sole navigation display, however. But I would say the same about a lone GNS430 / GTN650.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And the GNX375 adds what looks like a transponder, though it doesn’t actually say whether it is just ADS-B or Mode S as well.

My understanding is it is ADS-B out through Mode S Extended Squitter. It says “1090 MHz ES transponder”. It doesn’t say that it also outputs mode A/C.

ELLX

Exactly what I was hoping for to replace my kln90b when it dies. Good move Garmin!

EBST

Garmin also announced a $5000 pure GPS unit with LP & LPV approach support and a similar unit including ADS-B IN/OUT.

GPS 175 & GNX 375

They are targeting replacement of older Garmin and Kings GPS units:

Designed to replace earlier-generation products such as the iconic GPS 150/155 series, the GX 50/55, as well as the KLN 89/90/94 series, aircraft owners won’t have to make significant panel modifications to accommodate the GPS 175/GNX 375

[ post moved to existing thread ]

Last Edited by chflyer at 25 Mar 21:39
LSZK, Switzerland

Yes indeed; this is the box which King should have done about 10 years ago. The KLN94 has vertical guidance outputs defined on the connector so a plug-compatible LPV capable box would have been a no-brainer.

What is not known, for KLN90B/KLN94 owners, and will likely never be established until someone tries it, is whether the 175 is compatible with the King MFDs i.e. KMD550/850. The GNS boxes worked with them, except in the OBS mode where the incorrect stuff was displayed on the MFD. The exact issue I have never seen described in detail; one pilot who installed a GNS430 feeding a KMD550 has died and was never able to articulate it before he died (he was in the US, where the OBS mode is largely unheard of).

Administrator

Peter even the KLN89b had vertical guidance inputs, clearly this was intended as the installation manual had the unit connected to the GS indicator. Things did not go well as subsequently there was an SB to disconnect the GS indicator due to uncommended inputs.

What was this GS indicator supposed to be showing? This is way before LPV.

Administrator

lionel wrote:

My understanding is it is ADS-B out through Mode S Extended Squitter. It says “1090 MHz ES transponder”. It doesn’t say that it also outputs mode A/C.

It must do A/C as well.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message