Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Simple GPS which can do approaches - Garmin GPS175, also Garmin GNX375

The GNS530W is also a step up from the GNS430W in that it provides an EHSI style primary navigation and map page and has the screen space to include a decode of the VOR/Localizer frequency with radial and distance always displayed for tuned VOR. I rarely used the Map page as the primary navigation and map page had everything I wanted on it, whereas for a GNS 430W, it only contained data and not a map. Also on the Flightplan view, there is an extra column of data, so one can display track, ETE, and cumulative distance or any of the three available columns. I set mine to cumulative distance and find the RWxx distance easy to call out, 12 miles from the runway. You can’t do this with the GNS430W as it only supports two columns, not three. Also the map view is much larger and therefore more usable than the GNS430W.

KUZA, United States

Or you can link your GNS430W via Flight Stream 210 to Garmin Pilot on your iPad and have an MFD with all the columns and data you want. And transfer flight plans back and forth with airways and no knob twisting. And geo-referenced approach plates, and…etc.! Not the best photo but you see what I mean.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Snoopy wrote:

Concerning PBN/RNP did I gather correctly from this document that the plane is allowed
B-RNAV and Non Precision GPS Approaches?

Is B-RNAV only applicable to enroute or also for SID/STAR?

Answer:
Depending on specific procedure B-RNAV is ok or not.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The problem is even a second hand Garmin 430 would run us to 4 grand for the unit then another 5 grand for labour to have it fitted. Plus we would have to remove some perfectly working Nav unit. I also find the 430 not exactly user friendly either.

Its a shame as the Garmin 155 that is fitted is capable of non presicion approaches, SIDS and STARS but it doesn’t have EASA approval.

I think we will just have to carry on as we are.

All interesting stuff but the OP is in the UK

a shame as the Garmin 155 that is fitted is capable of non presicion approaches, SIDS and STARS but it doesn’t have EASA approval.

What does that mean? EASA doesn’t approve a GPS for a specific range of uses AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

The problem is even a second hand Garmin 430 would run us to 4 grand for the unit then another 5 grand for labour to have it fitted.

5 grand to get a simple GNS fitted? That is a lot of money. Question would be if installing a 150 would be considerably cheaper…

You can certainly also sell the servicable nav/com unit and recover some cost.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Indeed, but nobody can legally install it unless they can find a 145 shop which can “process” it and issue a new EASA-1. US Ebay is the best way but you don’t get much for truly old stuff there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will also, around end of the year, have a second-hand GNS430W for sale.

ELLX

Peter wrote:

nobody can legally install it unless they can find a 145 shop which can “process” it and issue a new EASA-1

I suspect some Part-145 shops in the former Eastern Bloc countries would test it and issue a Form 1 for a very reasonable fee, especially if you don’t tell them you are doing a fresh installation rather than repair.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

You don’t have to have just an EASA Form 1. A dual-release FAA8130-3 from an FAA repair station that also has EASA approval is perfectly acceptable in Europe.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message