Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Single vs twin insurance

In addition to the passenger seats, MTOM (kinetic energy), systems complexity (two of each slightly more than doubles the probability of a system failure – slightly more than double as you have the probability of a double failure), and the underwriters might be alive to the higher probability of morbidity or fatality when an accident does occur.

Twin engine pistons have a similar accident rate to SEP, but appear to suffer a higher proportion of fatalities when an accident does occur.

When I operated an MEP the premium was around £2,000 plus VAT. This was with quite generous liability limits. I was expected to hold a CPL/IR.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

aart wrote:

Please give them some heat and don’t give in too easily even though you can afford it.

It seems they have some tables (1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 kg …) which define liability insurance according to MTOM and TB20 (1400 kg) is not in the same category as DA42 (1780 kg).

I got discounts on hull insurance for being old customer and on pilot experiance, so I ended with €4.600 in total with Allianz. I got exactly the same offer from AXA which was supposed to be much cheaper but I chose Allianz because a) they gave me lower offer than last year b) they have local office. AXA was promissing lower but actual offer was not submitted until I shared existing policy and then they offered lower in range of pinuts and one day (yesterday) before actual inurance’s expiry date (today) although I sent my initial request more than month ago.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Here in the UK, GA insurance is very competitive. The best way is not to get loads of quotes (like people do with cars; that just p1sses off the insurers and – unless you don’t tell them your aircraft reg – can block you out for a while) but get maybe 1 other. Your existing insurer will probably drop down to that price, even if it is a drop of say 30% which makes them look like fools.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message