Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slick SB1-19

1 Post

I thought I had dodged the previous SB1-15A Slick bullet (which included many years of Mags) as I had two brand new Mags installed less than 40 flying hours ago.

Now I am hit by the new SB1-19 issued in February 2019. It only covers my impulse Mag and my engineer mentioned it is more a case of the stop pin pushing in too far and, if I understood what he said, possibly it will stop working. This might be acceptable until I can revisit in a couple of months as I have a brand new second Mag to rely on. But if the impulse mag fail I would be AOG as you can’t take off with only one mag working.

Reading the SB this evening there is the following text….. A liberated stop pin could potentially enter the gear train of the engine, resulting in damage to the gear train, damage to engine accessories and could ultimately cause catastrophic engine failure.

That puts a bit of a different complexion on the matter. I think it was caused by Slick drilling a hole too deep in the casing. If this was the automotive industry could you imagine the outcry if you bought a car less than 12 months before which was incorrectly manufactured and you then had to visit the dealer and pay for all of the labour element of the repair!

It might be fairly low risk as the SB mentions “next convenient maintenance schedule” or max 100 hours but does anybody have any more information on the risks?

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 05 Apr 17:30
United Kingdom
1 Post
Sign in to add your message