Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sometimes you have to see it to believe it!

An accident from a few days ago, somehow the cockpit video got out (I’m betting it was not the pilot who posted it!)

I know the airport and runway very well, one could not ask for a more welcoming runway to land. I parked my plane in the kill zone, just last week! He crossed two ditches in the grass, which if not flown over, certainly would have snagged a 172.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

hmm… hmm… a student I presume? first solo?

How is he doing? Is there any more information about the accident?

It looks like he lives by the motto “When in doubt, go around!”

Edit: He is safe

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/240606

Last Edited by Dimme at 04 Sep 02:11
ESME, ESMS

Looks like he tries to steer like in a car … with the “steering wheel” instead using his feet…

I did that on my first lessons as well, thank god he’s well.

I still sometimes do that, especially in a C152…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

It sounded like a punctured tyre. Trying to go around was likely not the best decision and he didn’t close the throttle when it was obvious it wouldn’t work. Poor guy.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OneEightyTwoTango wrote:

I did that on my first lessons as well, thank god he’s well.

Who didn’t? A yoke feels very much like a steering wheel, as a beginner. A centre stick less so, but I still tried to use it as a steering wheel early in my PPL.

When I first flew the C172, after my PPL in an Aquila, I almost made this mistake again because the C172 has very unresponsive rudder pedals, compared to the A210.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Glad he’s ok.

EGTF, LFTF

What actually happened? Did he forget that it is the pedals which control steering and used the yoke instead?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks like a botched go-around by a first solo student, I think the poor guy lost it under stress/fear and was flown by the aircraft to that hangar !
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/240606

Not the first one, there are load of report on runway excursions, TnG, Go-Arounds and they cover 0h PPL to 5000h ATPL but this one was a bit too much, it was a spin on the ground, anti-spin recovery would helped: cut power, opposite rudder and elevator forward…I am glad he did not takeoff !

tmo wrote:

I still sometimes do that, especially in a C152…

The same here, but more +/-5deg to keep in runway axis with front wheel in the air and no breaks, but not +110deg

I think at slow speeds, steering with rudder on few Cessnas is only effective up to +/-10deg, so you always use need differential breaks if you need more, but beyond that if the front wheel has to be heavy on the ground and you can get more steering up +/-40deg without breaks, a Cardinal I flew really needed a positive weight on the front wheel for something to click?? I think most Pipers and others just give you more steering, not that this tiny “type difference” does explain hitting that hangar !

Also, I recall the same story with Robins where you need weight on front wheel to unlock it, that gave me a hard time converting a PA18 tailwheel pilot who keeps that wheel up, he was on top of his flying but I just wanted him to forget some habits, who knows one day he may need to steer with the front wheel?…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Sep 08:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think on most Cessnas when there is no weight on the nose wheel it clutches out and centers and to reduce drag.

What’s interesting to see in the video is the moment he panics and immediately pulls the yoke fully aft. That would have been a nasty stall anyway.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 04 Sep 09:23
always learning
LO__, Austria
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message