Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spain: state-owned vs private airfields

Did some nice outings to some private fields recently in mainland Spain. The state-owned fields vary in their ‘GA-friendliness’ but I have to say that none of them compare to these privately-owned or privately-run fields.

LEAP Ampuriabrava, on the coast of Catalonia, just across the border from France. Very lively field, a lot of parajumping. The ARO was being rebuilt, so had no idea where to pay my fees and walked into a nearby hangar. A mechanic lay under a plane, his head into a landing gear well, out of sight. Me: ‘hi there, any idea where to pay my fee’? He: ‘just pay me, I’m the jack of all trades here, and btw I just called to close your flight plan because surely you ****** foreigner forgot, like all of them. And should you be interested, the canteen has a great daily menu, if you can wait a few minutes I’ll join you’. Well, that is the kind of encounters I like, rather than being dissed by some Operations department officer at an AENA airfield to not have called in advance to reserve a parking spot on a platform as big as Heathrow without any plane in sight.

Today, LERE Requena, west of Valencia. A nice restaurant right next to the runway. Closed on tuesdays! You know, my life is one big sequence of misfortunes.. The airport operator: ’Don’t worry, I’ll drive you to a place to get some food’.

I’ve been to quite a few private fields (LECD And LECI in the Pyrenees are great) but plan on discovering all of them..

Approach to LERE today:

And back home:

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Very nice. We should talk about those other fields without ICAO code. I’m wondering what their status is. Those that show up on http://aterriza.org

Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan,
90% or more of these are UL fields.
Note the listing ( in order of priority) :
-Aerodromes with bar
-Aerodromes with fuel

Hello Aart,
Thank you for these infos !
So far I have landed in LERS, LESL, LESO, LEST, and LESB in Spain.
LECD And LECI could be interesting places for those flying to Carcassonne in May

Jean
EBST, Belgium

LECD – La Cerdanya – just about two weeks ago,

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 01 Mar 23:51
Frequent travels around Europe

Beautiful photos…

Here, the wx has been unflyable except for short breaks once a week.

Spain is a spectacular place to fly to. I had some great flights down to Granada, La Axarquia, Barcelona, Valencia, San Sebastian… Zaragoza (in November 08) was cold but with a deep blue sky. Salamanca (Oct 14) was the last one and that was just amazing. All done nonstop from the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I planned Mallorca for late March but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea at this time of the year with so many fronts passing … Headwinds can easily turn 4.5 hours flight to 6 hours and my passengers are not quite ready for this.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Tell ‘m they’ll get a tailwind on the return flight
Hard to predict the weather, but assuming one front after another passing through may be a little too pessimistic.
Would be nice to meet you here Emir!

Peter, as far as horrible weather goes, think I can safely cancel my IFR training flight for Friday according to this GRAMET…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Stephan thank you for that link, quite a few Super Cub friendly strips.

La Cerdunya is the only grass roots airfield in Spain I have in the logbook. Need to add a few more. My visits log the usual suspect so: San Sebastián, Bilbao, Barajas, Cuatro Vientos, Girona and Sabadell. For Barajas had filed Torrejon but got diverted, this was some years ago. Handling wasn’t too painful.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message