Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spin training

Of the six types I have spent some time in doing spins I would vote the Pitts as the most predictable in its recovery. It stops very decisively.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Balliol wrote:

The Grob 115E I fly has the alternative spin recovery of release the control column after rudder input, however, this is only to be used in an emergency and will take up to 3 additional turns to recover.

Grob is a really nice aircraft. I love to fly sometimes at night with the Grob.
You can install some extra parts to be certified for spins.

Balliol wrote:

Interesting video but I can’t see the training value in large number of turns such as 20

Well, aviation is not only about training. Is about fun as well.

Balliol wrote:

if I applied our mandated height calculations the Minimum Entry Height for 20 turns would be 13,000ft!

They recover before the 1500ft mark. Plus they could stop at any time they wanted.

Last Edited by at 26 Jun 23:04

jvdo wrote:

It depends of the type and if you are in a flat spin or not…

Can you point to a case where it would hurt? Flat spins are clearly a different matter.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can you point to a case where it would hurt? Flat spins are clearly a different matter.

From my experience it will only cost you time and not bring any benefit if it’s not a flat spin.
But I have only spun aerobatic airplanes (Extra, Pitts, Robin 2160, …)

Bingo_Fuel wrote:

Hand always on the stick!

You should check the Beggs/Mueller method.
It’s a bit slower but it’s not a bad thing to do if you are inexperienced and you are not sure you are in a positive or negative spin.

Last Edited by jvdo at 27 Jun 08:13
EBMO, EBKT

jvdo wrote:

From my experience it will only cost you time and not bring any benefit if it’s not a flat spin.

The benefit is that is will work in most aircraft so you don’t have to learn different methods. On some aircraft, you’ll have to do this on others you don’t, but it won’t hurt either.

Anyway, I’m certainly not an expert in aerobatics — but the guy who taught me this is. It is also the method which is (at least was) taught by the US Air Force. When I read first Eddie Haskell’s memoirs I also couldn’t understand why you should first pull the stick back — but I then learned it is necessary in some aircraft to get sufficient rudder authority by reducing the aerodynamic wake caused by the stabiliser.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Jun 08:50
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

jvdo wrote:

You should check the Beggs/Mueller method.
It’s a bit slower but it’s not a bad thing to do if you are inexperienced and you are not sure you are in a positive or negative spin.

If that is the exceptional method for spin recovery on the manual for this aircraft fine, but putting your self in a critical situation not knowing(positive or negative spin) such an important thing is a no-go for me my friend. I prefer to be experienced pilot before I try that spin in my own.

Bingo_Fuel wrote:

If that is the exceptional method for spin recovery on the manual for this aircraft fine, but putting your self in a critical situation not knowing(positive or negative spin) such an important thing is a no-go for me my friend. I prefer to be experienced pilot before I try that spin in my own.

The thing is you don’t always get into spins intentionally, well you probably won’t get into one in a Cessna, but it can happen when doing toubles etc in an Extra ;)
It will never be in any manual, but anyway, I was just saying in some situations it could help you.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/iac_merchandise/7251711200000__Spins_in_the_Pitts_Special

“This is a book that is long overdue. Had it been printed forty years ago, it could have saved many lives. The techniques in this book have been researched thoroughly and have been proven thousands of times.”

Last Edited by jvdo at 27 Jun 12:47
EBMO, EBKT

but putting your self in a critical situation not knowing(positive or negative spin)

The change-over spin is a consequence of being over lusty in applying forward stick in the recovery of an upright spin – highly disorienting as you have applied opposite rudder but the spin accelerates in the original direction. It is a hazard which needs to be understood, and if not trained specifically in changing over from positive to negative spinning, will surprise almost everyone – ie not obvious that you have changed over from positive to negative when first experienced.

jvdo wrote:

This is a book that is long overdue. Had it been printed forty years ago, it could have saved many lives. The techniques in this book have been researched thoroughly and have been proven thousands of times

In my bucket list.

RobertL18C wrote:

ie not obvious that you have changed over from positive to negative when first experienced.

Yes, that is why I ended up my previous msg saying, I prefer to be experienced pilot before I try that spin in my own.

BTW, we need an AoA

Sign in to add your message