Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spring 2021 fly-in proposals

Unfortunately last fly-in to Annecy was heavily affected with travelling restrictions which made if practically impossible for the majority of interested pilots. I guess we all hope that things with travelling will normalize by spring and that we’ll be able to organize fly-in somewhere in Europe.

Last weekend I flew to a small airfield in Croatia (Vrsar LDPV) which is close to three very scenic small towns located at Peninsula of Istria (Northern Adriatic): Rovinj, Poreč and Vrsar (Rovigno, Parenzo and Orsera in Italian). Taxi (Uber/Bolt) ride from the airport to the town is €30, €10 and €5 respectively. There’s plenty of accommodation options in any of these towns and it’s quite acceptable, especially in April and May. Food is Mediterranean – good fish, good meat but also vegetarian options are available.

You may remember this airfield and surrounding area (especially Rovinj) as they hosted Red Bull Air Race in 2015.

The airfield itself is VFR with 700 m of paved runway in very good condition with hard parking for some 15-20 aircrafts and at least 20 more on the grass. Grass surfaces are very hard and you can’t sink with 2 tons aircraft even after the heaviest rain. Customs and immigration are available on request (2-3 hours prior to arrival) but unfortunately 100LL and JetA1 are not available (mogas is available because local aero club uses it). However, 100LL bowser can be pre-ordered in case we can roughly estimate the quantity of fuel needed few days before arrival). Pula LDPL is pretty close as alternate in case of bad weather. The fees are not particularly low (€25-35 for landing and €15 for day of parking – more in range of big Croatian international airports) but for 3 days the bill is still under €100. However, in case of larger number of aircrafts, I believe I can negotiate special pricing.

I’m aware that this doesn’t tick all the boxes we usually want for our fly-ins (scenic, immigration, fuel, IFR) but it’s just first proposal. I’m waiting the others with other proposals.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It‘s not just that it doesn‘t tick all the boxes, but most people who visit feel that there is an old bloke who does nothing for the airfield (other than being there) and charges too much money for that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

It‘s not just that it doesn‘t tick all the boxes, but most people who visit feel that there is an old bloke who does nothing for the airfield (other than being there) and charges too much money for that.

The more I think the more I feel you’re right

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If 100LL can be provided, that’s the major issue removed. Tarmac is also important to get a good turnout if there has been any recent rain. IFR is less important in Croatia, and even less important for a destination on the coast.

LDPV report.

A couple which came up in the Adhoc telegram group were

• re-doing Annecy
  • Sicily
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi everyone

I was lucky enough to visit Sardinia in August. I’ve been going to a place called Muravera at the South East of the Island and trying to connect with pilots at the nearby airfield. CA09 Antica Sardegna which is a beautifully maintained grass /scrub strip. I finally managed to find the owner, Paolo and it transpires there is now an active community of pilots flying there. I got a trip with Paolo along the coast.

Whilst I was there, there was a Swiss DA62 and another twin. No IR capability but in 10 years of going to the area, it’s only rained once!

Paolo has Avgas delivered in drums and there is lots of fabulous places to stay nearby. And Of course the sea is fabulous!

It’s a bit closer than Sicily. Perhaps a hood option?

EGSX North Weald, United Kingdom

That‘s the airfield in the municipality of Castiadas. The beaches next door are amongst the best in Europe. I used to go there 10 and more years ago, when there was still a good restaurant and accomodation on the field. In recent years, the owner (who was never the friendliest, don‘t know why) wouldn‘t let anything non-ultralight land there, as he thought the strip was too short and demanding for the average PPL pilot. Which is some cases it was. A Commander 114 crashed there (with fatalities) more than 10 years ago. In the following investigation, it was determined that the runway didn‘t correspond with safety requirements.

Good to see some change of attitude. Or maybe the guys in the DA62 were just „friends“?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Sep 16:51

Emir wrote:

Last weekend I flew to a small airfield in Croatia (Vrsar LDPV) which is close to three very scenic small towns located at Peninsula of Istria (Northern Adriatic): Rovinj, Poreč and Vrsar (Rovigno, Parenzo and Orsera in Italian)

The airport charges may not be ideal, but I spent three days based in Poreč last year, riding around between the towns mentioned and looking at the sights. I could easily have spent the summer there. Very relaxing and pretty area.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Sep 17:13

I’ve visited Pula and Losinj. I would be keen to try Vrsar. What is the position re customs and immigration?

Last Edited by Mark_B at 29 Sep 08:10
EGCJ, United Kingdom

None.

AD HR SER: FOR DOMESTIC AND TFC TO/FROM EUROPEAN UNION MEMBER
STATES WI SCHENGEN AREA:
SUMMER TIME: MON-SUN 0700-SS PLUS30
WINTER TIME: MON-SUN 0800-SS PLUS30
FOR AEROKLUB VRSAR, CROATIAN MIL AND POLICE FLIGHTS:
MON-SUN SR-SS PLUS30

RussSheffield wrote:

I was lucky enough to visit Sardinia in August. I’ve been going to a place called Muravera at the South East of the Island and trying to connect with pilots at the nearby airfield

Thanks for the suggestion, add to my list !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message