Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US flight hours for EASA PPL

Hello – I’d like to pursue flight training in Germany with the eventual goal of attaining an EASA PPL rating. I have 15 hours of flying time (with an instructor) while training for my FAA PPL, which I have not yet received. As I am moving to Germany from the US now, it seems to make sense to continue my training there and get an EASA PPL instead of the FAA one.

Can anyone tell me if the hours I flew in the US will “count” towards the minimum 45 hours required for the PPL in Europe?

REN
Germany

No. But you will very likely need the 45 hours anyway.

Are you fluent in German? If not, have you checked if you can do it all (theory training, theory test, practical training, practical test) in English where you now stay/live?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Dec 14:01
Frankfurt (EDFZ, EDFE), Germany

REN wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the hours I flew in the US will “count” towards the minimum 45 hours required for the PPL in Europe?

Most likely NO, some schools will even say it has to be done with an ATO + Part-FCL instructor (not even old hours with JAR-FCL instructors), other schools would just sign-off on all of them but as boscomantico said you will be past 45hours by then

ESSEX, United Kingdom

The FAA accepts training done anywhere in the world towards a US PPL but EASA does not accept training done outside EASA-land towards an EASA PPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you can, get the FAA PPL and then convert via the 100 (150?) hour route to an EASA PPL. Unless you plan on living in Europe for a very long time, the FAA ticket is prob90 of more use to you anyway.

As far as the language part goes, I can help. It is possible to do the theory exams in English, your ATO just has to tell the local authority. Otherwise, they assume the German version as default.

The RT exam can also be done in English only, called BZF E, and be upgraded later on. Not being able to do German RT will severely limit your destinations, as some smaller fields are German only, but avoid delay in training if you need time to get your German up to speed.

In which German state do you live/ are you going to live?

EDXN, Germany
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message