Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reissuance of validated FAA license due to new EASA license

If you have a national license and that has all the rights you want to exercise under your FAA piggyback, is valid and has exactly the number printed on the FAA license, then you're fine of course.

However, if you switch from your national/JAR license to an EASA license which has the same number but a "GBR." (for UK) or "DE.FCL." (for Germany) prepended, then the FAA's official position is that you need your piggyback license to be reissued. For this, they have created a fastpath but this needs the cooperation of your CAA and is not a very well defined process. Andreas apparently was the first one to raise that issue with the German CAA and I'm looking forward to the outcome.

Agree, I have both a EASA and a CAA national Licence....so no need to do anything to maintain my 61.75 certificate (with its attendant VFR only status).....however, having said all that, I am currently going through the process to get a standalone FAA certificate and about to start training for an FAA IR...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ, not sure to understand your point: if the EASA PPL can hold an IMC rating, why should CAA issue me also with a UK national PPL? And, even so, why would that avoid me to repeat the FAA piggyback process (via the easier route suggested by Achimha)?

I did say that at the time the JAA licence could not show the IMC rating and so the CAA automatically issued a national Licence at the same time as I upgraded to a JAA Licence. I also said I don't know if they do this anymore, however I'm sure you could obtain such a national Licence if requested....and it ill have the same number as your old JAA Licence if this is what your 61.75 is based on

Edit for clarity: And it will show that your FAA certificate simply states that it is issued on the basis of your UK license number UK/PP/xxxx, NOT on the basis of a JAA Licence because JAA is/was not a Licence issuing state

Tataaaa!

IMO they still made a mistake (Germany vs Europe) but I don't care.

EDXQ

No error. It is still a Germany issued pilot license.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I see... Thanks.

EDXQ

Now an interesting question: to use your 61.75, if your German licence is still current (ie hasn't expired), and you have an FAA Class 3 medical or better, do you need a German medical.

EGTK Oxford

It's a validated FAA license so I don't need an US medical at all. I only need my German medical.

EDXQ

I know what you mean Jason....in the US when using my 61.75 they want to see that you either have the medical that goes with your "based on" Licence, or an FAA medical certificate.....I have never had an FAA medical until recently so it was never an issue....but I believe I can still use the 61.75 with an expired "based on" medical if I have an FAA medical

Yes. The Americans don't care if you have a valid home medical, bfr or whatever. So long as the licence is valid and you comply with the restrictions on the face of it you are fine.

If you have FAA Flight Review and medical you are good even though your German medical expires.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message