Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR theory acceptable for the BIR?

Are there any CAAs in Europe (EASA) which accepts the CB-IR theoretical knowledge exams for the BIR?

They all should, because due to lack of people willing to do new QBs for the small number of candidates, all these QBs are subsets from the same syllabus (“learning objectives”).

The main real advantage of BIR over CBIR is no ’ English IFR ELP’ (this a requirement in France for CBIR, many people do not have a choice as “IFR ELP” test by DGAC is bloody though on them: even FAA IR holders who converted will get CBIR restricted to ‘French IFR FPL’ and fly using FAA IR outside)

One should not be able to get any FAA papers without speaking reasonable English

B IR theory is even more reduced than CB IR.
So are the exam question banks (1400 vs 4000 questions).

BIR theory is 1400 questions while CBIR is 4000?

CBIR was only about 1/3 reduced from JAA/EASA IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One should not be able to get any FAA papers without speaking reasonable English

Talking to DPE about food to get ‘FAA English Proficient’ and scoring real world English ATC is easy, going to DGAC center to get ‘DGAC IFR ELP6’ is tough as hell: you have to listen and talk with the lowest quality audio out there where it’s about ‘request start up and push back in Alpha’ with German PIC flying Lufthansa A380 while speaking to Mexican ATC (I have no clue what ‘call the ramp’ means, I never done it after 250h of IFR flying on IMCR + CAA CBIR )

I failed DGAC Level 6 on 1st attempt because I said ‘request 220 to avoid’ rather than ‘request 220 to avoid cumulinmbus’, I managed to get it on 2nd attempt after hours of listening to Live ATC

I think the test is made difficult on purpose to split sheep from people (FAA English requirement fits GA)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Sep 13:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Snoopy wrote: Biggest advantage is no minimum hours for the B IR

Are you aware of anyone who got B-IR with less than 10h ATO?

@Ibra, for the rating that is being introduced? BIR is just coming in, comeon!
I think that an IRI like @Snoopy with a good simulator (and likely a force-feedback controls) could train a student to a level that only a few hours will be needed for a couple of flight. What can’t you do in a sim? Unusual attitudes, stall recovery?
That is if the student is familiar with an aircraft, of course.

EGTR

What can’t you do in a sim? Unusual attitudes, stall recovery?

Circle to land with 500ft & 1500m? as it’s not easy to look outside in IFR simulators…actually you don’t do it in aircraft neither as too cowboy for your average IRI and 1500m an ATO is likely closed…I recall Stapleford closes with 3000m & 1100ft ceiling

I can see the benefit of home sim but the syllabus require you to fly conventional Holds, SID, STAR, DME arc…all are useless in practice with Radar & GPS but will eat a good +10h in an aircraft or approved sim to tick

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My point was, it can be done according to competence, however obtained, vs. scrubbing along 40 hours in any case.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

My point was, it can be done according to competence, however obtained, vs. scrubbing along 40 hours in any case.

@Snoopy, that is the point I was also trying to make – a certain student COULD achieve this in small amount of hours in the some environment and with some IRI.
Especially, keeping in mind 500’ and 600’ minima.
Although for me the hardest bit is a single-needle hold. :)

EGTR

PN me, I’ll do some remote training with you and show you some pointers (haha) to make it easy.

always learning
LO__, Austria

DGAC does accept ATPL, IR, CBIR theory for BIR

@Ibra do you have a suggestion where I can find the facts supporting that DGAC accepts ATPL theory for BIR? And what would be a good way to get in touch with them on this topic?

Background: I got all my ATPL exams 10+ years ago. Useless for IR/CPL but potentially still useful for BIR as BIR theory does not expire.

EHLE, Netherlands

FCL.025(c)(1)(iii): “The successful completion of the theoretical knowledge examinations will be valid [] for the issue of a basic instrument rating (BIR), for an unlimited duration.”

London, United Kingdom

Just to confirm here. The French DGAC and the Dutch KIWA/ILenT have confirmed to me via e-mail that my 10+ old EASA ATPL theory certificate can indeed be used for the BIR rating! The Dutch needed some convincing so the French statement helped… so I am now going to make a plan for myself to get it sometime this year.

EHLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message