Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Austrocontrol PPL license for NL pilot

Hi all, a friend of mine is close to getting his PPL here in NL. He lives here too. What are the pros and cons of getting a license through Austrocontrol? Reason being that the Dutch (KIWA) now have a 9 week delay. Also their tariffs are about 2-3x those of Austrocontrol.

Austrocontrol has already stated that his medical records need to be transferred. What does this mean, now and in the future?

We are just exploring options. Avoiding KIWA is worth a thorough investigation… thanks!

EHLE, Netherlands

It means the medical records will be with ACG, until you desire to change to another SOLI.

I don’t know any cons, really. They have quick response times and provide good service.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks @Snoopy! How would a future medical check with a Dutch AME work in this case? Could you still use the Dutch medical that they can print themselves or would you have to go through ACG every time?

EHLE, Netherlands

My license is from the Netherlands. I have been renewing my medical in Spain ever since I moved here. So I get a Spanish medical, printed here. The Spanish AME sends the results to the Neth Authorities. That’s the way it works in EASA-land.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yep, the medical file follows the land which issues the pilot’s licence.

Own example, when I started flying for a certain British company some years ago, they asked us to change whatever licence we had into a UK ATPL, which was just a matter of having the AME send the medical file to the U of K. And paying a couple of hundred quids
When I started a new career as a retiree, I had the excellent idea of going back to a Swiss EASA licence, and the process was reversed.

As an aside, it got pretty weird in that the Swiss NAA then refused to enter the A320 series in my list of expired type ratings on the grounds of having done the initial type rating in the UK. And despite having exclusively flown Swiss registered A320 series aircraft for the last few years…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

SvenHz wrote:

Thanks @Snoopy! How would a future medical check with a Dutch AME work in this case? Could you still use the Dutch medical that they can print themselves or would you have to go through ACG every time?

You’re welcome. It would be unchanged… same procedure as always.

always learning
LO__, Austria
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message