Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Solo flying across borders during training (PPL/LAPL)

Our local airport (ENKJ – largest GA airport in Norway) has restrictions when it comes to landing training. Practially no exemptions, except for the very first solo flight/one hour. This leads to a lot of ferry flying, with added cost to the student.

I’m trying to figure out if there are any legal restrictions on letting my students fly solo abroad; in this example Sweden (which is pretty close, and we are welcome to fly there). E.g., how does a flight school in Luxembourg do this? (I know there are several airports in Luxembourg, but probably not enough to satisfy the number of “new airports” during a PPL/LAPL training programme).

Norway is not a part of the EU, but we are pretty much aligned with EU rules and regulations.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

We have one airport and one short grass field in Luxembourg which for training purposes we rarely use and certainly not for solo training so we basically have only one airport to work with and indeed fly cross border in training a lot. Our schools manual among other things says that international solo flights are allowed only if the destination country has authorized these kind of flights specifically or generally. If I were you I would phone up your and Sweden’s regulator and ask. These people don’t bite I’m sure you’ll get good guidance.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Sounds a bit like the FAA rules for PPL training on islands, 14 CFR 61.111.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

In Europe this seems very country dependent.

In the UK it is not allowed in the PPL (and presumably LAPL/NPPL). It is allowed during IR training but all of that is dual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can’t remember seeing anything about this in the AIP. As long as the insurance papers etc are OK I cannot see why not. I have heard about people flying to Sweden for their solo nav (not first hand), but this doesn’t mean it is allowed (or not). What exactly should restrict this I wonder (other than an obscure Swedish mediaeval FI guild ) That it is a student solo flight can be written in the FP.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Here is my “solo license” som 2015. Maybe something similar may be issued to Norwegian students by Transportstyrelsen? Ask OSM Aviation Academy. They fly in both Sweden and Norway.

ESME, ESMS
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message