Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

I’m in Luxembourg and yes I know I could pass the FAA IPC here ( with the same instructor with whom I did the BFR). But I couldn’t fly IFR as PIC with the FAA IR as far as I know, at least my ATO would not let me do that on their EASA registered aircraft. So I would still need to go to the US to build up the hours.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

gildnn wrote:

I needed those to be able to a) pass the FAA BFR and b) pass the EASA skill test.

There you go! You have a BFR and you will need an IPC! Plenty of CFIIs around in the UJ and Europe in general.

Peter wrote:

However I wonder if a European FTO could veto the conversion, on the basis that you didn’t have enough recent flying time.

You do not need an ATO for the EASA IR conversion. You just find an examiner for the skill test. Been there, done that.

gildnn wrote:

But I couldn’t fly IFR as PIC with the FAA IR as far as I know, at least my ATO would not let me do that on their EASA registered aircraft. So I would still need to go to the US to build up the hours.

Plenty of N-regs around.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 Mar 11:19
LFPT, LFPN

You do not need an ATO for the EASA IR conversion

You did in the UK last time I checked, but “in theory” the ATO “could not veto it”

Same issue with regaining an EASA IR if it expired (= last text flight more than 1 year ago). You are forced to go back into the ATO system here in the UK and they can veto it if they “feel” you aren’t good enough. Thus they can get some money from you, especially if it forces you to rent one of their planes because yours is not “on their fleet” Then your currency on type will be crap, which is even better

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You did in the UK last time I checked, but “in theory” the ATO “could not veto it”

If so, the UK does not comply with Part-FCL.

8. Applicants for the competency-based modular IR holding a Part-FCL PPL or CPL and a valid IR issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be credited in full towards the training course mentioned in paragraph 4. In order to be issued the IR, the applicant shall:

(a) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;

(b) demonstrate to the examiner during the skill test that he/she has acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology and flight planning and performance (IR); and

(c) have a minimum experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes.

It is very clear that if you have a third-country IR and the required experience, you only need to pass the skill test.

Peter wrote:

Same issue with regaining an EASA IR if it expired (= last text flight more than 1 year ago). You are forced to go back into the ATO system here in the UK and they can veto it if they “feel” you aren’t good enough.

That is clearly in compliance with Part-FCL

(c) Renewal.
If an IR has expired, in order to renew their privileges applicants shall:
(1) go through refresher training at an ATO to reach the level of proficiency needed to pass the instrument element of the skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part; and
(2) complete a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part, in the relevant aircraft category
Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 Mar 12:51
LFPT, LFPN

Thank you very much for all your informative inputs Gentlemen. I did actually consider all of this before taking the cumbersome route with all 7 written exams. I’m actually almost there, I finished the online course with the progress tests and just did the “white tests” .
So the plan for this year is :
1. Continue to put my head in the books for the next few weeks.
2. Sit and hopefully pass the 7 written tests.
3. In the meantime finish the night rating.
4. Start the IFR flight training using simulator and aircraft.
Mabe I’m too optimistic but I do hope to get the EASA IR by the end of the year. If necessary I’ll take the final part at FIS in Spain where I also did the PPL skill test. They are UK run and very accomodating people. Above all the are not a club so the instructors are available full time.
5. Revalidate the FAA IR.
I hope this way to end up with an FAA CPL/IR and an EASA PPL/CBIR.
Fingers crossed.
Btw I would love to report progress to this community, could that be done in continuation of this thread ?

Last Edited by gildnn at 28 Mar 16:18
EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Yes of course.

BTW the EASA CBIR is a full ICAO IR in every way (except a reduced credit towards the HPA rating, which won’t affect most people in light GA) so you will have a normal PPL/IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

BTW the EASA CBIR is a full ICAO IR in every way (except a reduced credit towards the HPA rating, which won’t affect most people in light GA) so you will have a normal PPL/IR.

I think we did touch on this before – but nowhere on the license does it say CBIR – all it says is SEPIR or MEPIR – at least not on mine…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Mine says CB-IR

LFPT, LFPN

As a follow up to my previous post I’m happy to announce I passed all seven CBIR theory tests within a week.
Thank you Peter for the advice “stick your head in the book and train white tests over and over”. Worked perfectly for me, I got 90%+ on all of them.

Last Edited by gildnn at 19 Apr 15:40
EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

I assume over 3 or 4 days? I think when I did it you only had only 2 days per sitting which was slightly annoying. It’s not the beast some people get the impression.

I did the CB IR over 4 weekends, but I already had an IR(R).

If you can do it in a short span of time (which I think is likely to be more optimal anyway) then I would go for the CBIR however if you can’t I would consider doing the EIR, so that you can start using the IR for “VFR / VFR on top trips”, and / or build some Instrument flying hours that you might use for the CBIR.

Sign in to add your message