Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CAA v CASA log books

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum but as I am a student I have included it here.

I am Australian and have recently started flying here in the UK after a long hiatus of 17 years. I would prefer not to have to get a new log book as I am sure everyone agrees they are great part of your own life and documentation of your flying experience. Starting a new one or transposing information is not something I would like to do.

The data collected is pretty much the same between the two styles however the most noticeable difference is the inclusion of departure (engine on?) and arrival time columns in the CAA log book. (when I say CAA I am basically just referring to a Pooleys log book).

Is it a requirement of CAA to include these arrival and departure times? In Australia I would use the aircraft Hobbs meter to determine time and would log 1.0 for 1 hour in the flight time column rather than entering 11:15z | 12:15z | 1 hour

we also never logged number of landings which is another column I see in the local books.

thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,

As far as I know, the requirements for a log book are not specified that much in detail. I’m not sure if e.g. there is a requirement to record landings.

My log book is American but my license is UK CAA – they never complained (license issuance, revalidation etc.). I’m recording off-block to on-block times in UTC. I never use Hobbs time unless required for payment of a chartered aircraft, but it will never appear in my log book.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

As far as I know, the requirements for a log book are not specified that much in detail. I’m not sure if e.g. there is a requirement to record landings.

The requirements are specified in rather great detail in AMC1 to FCL.050. There is a requirement to record landings, as well as departure and arrival times. The times recorded should be block times, i.e. the time the aircraft first starts moving under power before takeoff and the time it comes to a final stop after landing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for the input guys.

I will have a read up and see what I might be able to do. The need for logging landings doesn’t bode well for my hours flying back in Aus.

Yes, Europe does indeed specify rather precisely what the minimum items for logbbok entries are.

It always gets a bit complicated when for example when someone purely with FAA licenses is living and flying exclusively in Europe. From his licencing standpoint, he should have to log according to FAA soecifications, however, in other regards (for example a future license conversion project) he should log according to the European specs.

But I assume you already have a CAA license, so you should definitely as the CAA (and EASA) likes now.

In any case, Jason should be able to help you with the various changes (Australia —> UK) that you will encounter.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Aug 15:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It does not matter at all how that old logbook is kept. If you use it to prove you meet certain minimum requirements, such as experience etc, the UK CAA accepts it as proof of that experience. So will insurers. Other CAAs may differ, although they do not have a leg to stand on – the logbook requirements cannot, simply put, retroactively be applied to pilots who did not have EASA licences, that would be rather silly.

However, as you now get training under the EASA regime and fly later using your EASA licence, you have to keep a EASA logbook and record landings from the point your EASA training started onwards. You can do that in the old logbook as long as it has the columns for the information, or you can start a new one.

Other than proving past experience, your last logbook it is just something where you wrote down your flights, and is about a relevant as you recording what you had for breakfast every day.

Biggin Hill
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message