Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which plane to buy for EUR200k

Twins tend to de-ice with rubber boots while singles tend to de-ice with TKS, but I have never heard anything suggesting boots are better than TKS, and many saying TKS is far better (no runback, etc). Until the TKS fluid runs out

I am sure I have said boots are better as have several others. TKS is expensive, hard to find, and runs out. It is also messy as anything. Boots are easy and always available.

Last Edited by JasonC at 24 Nov 18:04
EGTK Oxford

But boots don’t work well on a 300 hp SEP, and they are de-ice and not anti-ice. If you switch oin TKS 3 minutes before you fly into the clouds you will never see any ice on my SR22… well at last not for 45 minutes ;-).. TKS is also better aerodynamically on a clean laminar wing like the Cirrus’

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 24 Nov 18:14

Thanks for the replies. I would respond but Mooney Driver has pricked my balloon so I’ll slink off to my cardboard box and bury my dreams for now I’ll be back when I’ve licked road clean wi’ tongue

LFMD - Cannes

Why don’t you set up a syndicate? Finding another pilot interested in spitting in some cash into a SR22 shouldn’t be too hard.

LFPT, LFPN

But boots don’t work well on a 300 hp SEP, and they are de-ice and not anti-ice.

They work on a 350hp SEP. TKS may be better for a non turbo Cirrus but the system as a whole is not as good as boots which are themselves not as good as hot wings. Those with TKS tend to perpetuate the TKS is better myth

Last Edited by JasonC at 24 Nov 18:39
EGTK Oxford

But the aerodynamic penalty would be much bigger with the boots, Jason. And – as you said – on an NA there might not be enough power for boots at altitude.

PS: you don’t have to rub it in,we all know that the hot wing is the best solution. I could only set it on fire though to get a hot wing :-)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 24 Nov 18:48

Yes, it’s a pity Columbia didn’t manage to make the Thermawing work.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What happened to that project? That one would have been a clear advantage …

It’s a Kelly product. I think that says it all.

They have been writing “pending” for ages in connection with an alleged STC for the Cirrus. See here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Nov 19:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have flown both TKS and boots in icing.

The most important consideration is – they are both infinitely better than no ice protection – and I did that, too.

I don’t think there are many aircraft around where you can choose between boots and TKS, it tends to be either one or the other, definitely for FIKI certified ty[pes.

I would not make a buying decision for a particular aircraft type based on TKS vs boots, the time spent in actual icing conditions (compared to conditions where icing is possible) tends to be quite low.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message