Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correct/preferred way to fly this VOR approach?

Agree with the parallel hold in this case it looks like the only “correct” way of joining the hold and that it was I would do since the IFR plan only brings you to the IAF before entering the hold. So I’d consider this as being not ready to start the procedure and join the hold. The correct procedure for joining the hold here is a parallel entry, fly 1 266 route for 1 minute (or 1m30 in case of a headwind) and join KNA before starting the procedure.
The only other way to be sure you are “protected” (and I am not advocating I would fly this) is to fly a 086 track (basically the missed approach) as you are sure to be cleared of obstacles at that altitude – but it is poor flying I think.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Oops too quick – actually fly a 258 route not a 266 route – not sure how to edit my previous post.

Peter wrote:

Fortunately the MSA (see circle in top right) is not an issue in this case, but in the general case you can’t just make up a DIY track to the east so as to make the turn onto the outbound leg easy.

Then path “B” is totally irregular as well because it’s also DIY and goes in opposite direction of missed approach. I guess we’ve agreed that entering holding (parallel) on KNA and then exiting on radial 278 is the proper way.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There is an Edit button, for two hours.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess we’ve agreed that entering holding (parallel) on KNA and then exiting on radial 278 is the proper way.

Actually because the hold is the wrong way ’round, I think you cannot simply exit on radial 278. My gut feeling (not holding an IR, just an IMC) is that you would continue flying the outbound leg on 258 until you intercept the 278 radial.

However, my gut feeling also tells me that depending on your speed (and thus the radius of your turns), you may actually intercept the 278 radial well beyond the 7.6 DME point. That would be causing you to start your base turn too late. I don’t have the opportunity to do the math right now though.

BackPacker wrote:

Actually because the hold is the wrong way ’round, I think you cannot simply exit on radial 278.

You don’t actually exit on radial 278, you fly a 258 route for 1 min or 1min30 depending on wind, then do a 25degree turn back to the IAF (in this case a VOR) before entering the procedure.

My gut feeling (not holding an IR, just an IMC) is that you would continue flying the outbound leg on 258 until you intercept the 278 radial.

That’s what I have been saying.

It is hard for “us” to get our head around this, in the days of GPS/RNAV.

This kind of Q makes one think about the obstacle clearance issues.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This kind of Q makes one think about the obstacle clearance issues.

As long as you stay within the racetrack of the hold, you should be OK no? , Hence the 258 track followed by a right turn (always turn within the race track). Clearly there are margins outside of the racetrack but the standard entries are there to keep you safe I was thought.

Ok, here’s another proposal. Since this is VOR/DME, approching it from North you can, e.g. 2-3 NM before KNA, start to intercept radial 278 by changing heading to e.g. 230 and then 250. So you basically end in procedure turn without entering holding without need for GPS and keeping sufficiently close to VOR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes that would also keep you protected.

Somehow…. I am sure it would fail you on the IR test though

Administrator
Sign in to add your message