Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The difference between slipping and skidding

We all know that our Cessna 172s are very tame aircraft. Still there is a big difference in stalling in a slipping and skidding turn. I have made two videos as I demonstrated the difference to my student. When watching the video keep in mind that we flew with a forward cog and the aircraft may act more violent with an aft cog.

Slipping turn: The Cessna is not very impressed:

Skidding turn with a distinct break:

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Under ruddered and over ruddered turns. Coming from gliding ( last few flights in a 26metre span open class ship that only responded to great boot fulls of it) one learns to fly with the rudder and I find myself tending to over rudder at times.

It's not rocket science!

In an extra 200, I remind to have been seriously warned about asymmetric stalls, slipping or skidding. That was impressive :-)

That is a very forgiving plane… Now I know why they sold so many 172s. The slipping stall went pretty much as I expected but while the skidding turn was a lot more abrupt, I was waiting for something more dramatic (I felt my gut tightening unpleasantly as I watched the ball, listened to the horn, and waited for it to bite )

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Dec 05:13

Yes, it is reassuringly boring with low rpm. Much more fun to try with progressively increasing power levels. Even the 172 can bite if you try hard enough!

Nimbusgb wrote:

Coming from gliding ( last few flights in a 26metre span open class ship that only responded to great boot fulls of it) one learns to fly with the rudder and I find myself tending to over rudder at times.

Me too, although the biggest glider I have flown was a Lak12. But I think it is important to show the effects and differences of uncoordinated turns, especially when the slipping turn is used to get rid of altitude or speed.

Silvaire wrote:
Now I know why they sold so many 172s.

Yes, it is known to be “Cessnas optimised mediocrity” for a reason :-)

kwlf wrote:

Much more fun to try with progressively increasing power levels. Even the 172 can bite if you try hard enough!

Yes, but with the forward cog the result is the same, just the attitude is a little higher. The used F172F has the “old” airfoil, a normal NACA2412. The later 172 have the enlarged nose radius “chamber lift wing” and are even more tame. With my student in one of the next flights we will be taking ballast in the rear to get the cog aft (of course within the allowed range) and the difference in handling characteristics will be shown.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message