Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Learn to fly in Europe

There is a report here from France of a school in SW France banning more than one flight per day but I have not seen that elsewhere else.

I think most schools who don’t have a real d**k Head of Training (there are a few about) will welcome keen students with open arms.

Bordeaux

It may well be possible to “do” your license in a very short period of time. Even in Europe. But is that wise? Like as not, your subsequent flying will be only so often in several weeks or even several months. Better to have trained at the same rhythm, or the contrast could have a devastating effect.

Actually, I think, and have seen it confirmed on the forums, the hardest bit is to know what your actual flying will be like. If you could, you could model your training towards it. Trouble is, many people dream of being a non-professional pilot, just for fun, without having any idea of what it is actually like. The same seems to apply to professional flying, by the way, but that is not the prime subject of this forum.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I agree. I would not want to rush it and do it all at once. It would be very expensive at once as well.

I was just asking because I wasn’t sure if it is more spread out or if it had more material.

Seems like all my questions have been answered! Thanks everyone. Now I just need to move, get a job, and get going!

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

Like as not, your subsequent flying will be only so often in several weeks or even several months.

I don’t understand that. People who fly rarely do so for their own reasons (money, time, etc) not due to unavoidable limitations, and in most cases they would have been aware of these reasons when they started on flight training.

I would not assume that everybody is severely time- or money-limited.

Better to have trained at the same rhythm, or the contrast could have a devastating effect.

I don’t understand that either. Frequent lessons generate much better currency and make a much better pilot. Devastating effect due to what? I can see somebody who ran out of money the day after they get their PPL is going to be frustrated, but in most cases such a situation can be anticipated. Life is what you make it yourself.

People who do a PPL over a year just make 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards and spend 30-50% more money. Fair enough – most do that because (a) the school isn’t going to tell them they are wasting their money (why should it – 100hr-PPL students are just great ) and (b) even if they were aware, they made the decision to fly only when they have nothing else to do.

I have known several 100+hr pilots… they wasted 5 figures each.

the hardest bit is to know what your actual flying will be like

Why is that a problem? You gradually determine what sort of flying (“mission profile”) you like and then get on with it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Agree with Peter, it’s impossible to know where life will take you, and that will determine much of your flying.

I find this whole notion of taking a year to do a PPL totally ludicrous. I did mine in about 3 weeks (at age 40) in spring in L.A. where you not only have to contend with highly variable wx (sunny SoCal ain’t always sunny!) but also with some of the most congested airspace in the world. Total immersion, if you will, and I would recommend that to anyone, as you really live and breathe aviation for a while. IMHO much better than doing it on the odd Sunday.

PS: I did start theory home study about half a year before that at my own pace.

I think that taking it slow does have some virtue. It allows you to take the time to assimilate the subject matter and suck up the atmosphere in the club environment (which is non-existent in the US, and in the UK too IIUC)

I started my PPL in April and got it in December. Wonderful time. And I did it in 42 hrs. So I do not believe that 40hrs over one year will make you take one step forward and one step back. That is twice as much as most PPLs fly around here

Last Edited by Aviathor at 15 Apr 18:12
LFPT, LFPN

Of course, both methods have their pros and cons. But I would tend to agree with the fast approach. At least of training in the northern half of Europe: schedule a lesson for every moment and day you possibly can; you will see that you will get naturally slowed down by the weather.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So I do not believe that 40hrs over one year will make you take one step forward and one step back. That is twice as much as most PPLs fly around here

Sure, and some 90% of new PPLs chuck it all away within a year or so – mainly because they have no confidence to go anywhere.

you will see that you will get naturally slowed down by the weather.

That’s very true.

suck up the atmosphere in the club environment

That depends on the club environment… some are positive and encouraging while others are dominated by pompous individuals… Most people are stuck with the airfield nearest them, so just getting on with it is the safest option. And in all cases, maximum currency has to be the best way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Doing it all ASAP requires to have all the money already. I think I will move first, then settle down and see how my finances are and then get started. Hopefully by the end of the year I can get going with my PPL training.

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

That sounds like wisdom. Be aware however that “ground class” i.e. the theory course is started only once a year especially at the smaller clubs – or so it is at least round here, and I think Germany will not be very different. So get your info in time, to start the theory lessons in September which is the usual time – again, round here in BE at least. German and Swiss forum members please confirm, or otherwise?

Also take the medical test first of all: it would be too bad to find out some minor yet blocking medical detail only after having spent a deal of time and effort and money.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message