Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

Peter wrote:

Avionics upgrades are highly not recommended for a novice owner. Even non-novice owners get caught out; one guy on here has had his plane stuck in the installer’s hangar for about a year now, with a dispute running over a range of things. I’ve been caught out too. A novice buyer should buy a plane which already has everything installed and working.

Yes, I also feel so. I have no knowledge necessary for avionics upgrades and would rather put my efforts into becoming a better pilot than into studying this stuff.

LCPH, Cyprus

At Mytilene Airclub (LGMT) we use 100 octane fuel that we buy from the gas station and we store it in 200lt barrels. We have a fuel pump at the airclub to transfer the fuel.

Cessna 172N Superhawk w/ MOGAS STC

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Valentin wrote:

I have no knowledge necessary for avionics upgrades and would rather put my efforts into becoming a better pilot than into studying this stuff.

So much the more you need to know what to buy in the first place. But stuyding this stuff is still something you have to do… There are dozens of development variants of the G1000 around for starters.

As for upgrades, it depends very much what. There are things which are very easy and straightforward but others which are not. As a beginner in this, you will this way or the other need an experienced person you trust to advise you, unless maybe you buy a brand new plane but even then you’d need advice on options and what is required for EASA e.t.c.

And of course, as you have already noticed, 5 experts, 10 opinions. In the end you call the shots, but working out the profile and best solution is also fun. I took 3 years to find the perfect plane for myself and it was a fun and very educational time!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Valentin wrote:

but only concerning my particular situation

What exactly is your situation? You say you don’t want to “commit” because you don’t know what and how you will plan your “aviation career” later on. Then why does it matter what you chose today? I don’t get it. Your biggest problem is lack of experience. Focus on that, and get some experience. It doesn’t matter what plane or avionics you have, the only thing that matters is the ability to maintain the aircraft, so you can use your time and money getting flying experience, instead of waiting for a stranded aircraft being “fixed” in Greece or wherever for 13 months or more

Aren’t you overthinking your situation here?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It doesn’t matter what plane or avionics you have, the only thing that matters is the ability to maintain the aircraft, so you can use your time and money getting flying experience, instead of waiting for a stranded aircraft being “fixed” in Greece or wherever for 13 months or more

In my opinion, it does matter what plane and avionics I have. Garmin G1000 avionics won’t necessarily cause any problems at all. Or it may happen, say once, and be fixed in reasonable time. In the extremely unlikely case which you described, I can buy another plane.

LCPH, Cyprus

Valentin wrote:

In my opinion, it does matter what plane and avionics I have.

I don’t think anyone disagree to that. It’s just there are as many opinions about these things as there are pilots. When the starting point is a blank sheet of paper, as in your situation, you will get the full spread of opinions.

You have to start at some place, because you don’t know the end result, and have no experience to draw from that will guide you. There are two outcomes:

1. I was lucky, I chose the right plane and configuration
  2. Bugger, what I chose was all wrong, I should rather go for ….

So, whatever you chose, it could be all wrong, all right, or something in between. You don’t know. But – there are some things you do know, and these things are the same all over, and will effect your flying much more than trivial differences in display technology. The largest one is maintenance. Other things are hangar space, corrosive environment, how much time you can offer etc. This is supposed to be fun also, don’t forget that when setting up your excel decision sheet. Also, a steam gauge 182, can be upgraded later on with a G500/GTN combination or similar (I think also in EASA land?), while with a G1000 you are pretty much stuck.

As a side note. If you lived in Norway, you would prob99 go for an RV or Lancair, and install a G3X/GTN combination, if it wasn’t already installed. Anything better than that would be TP, or perhaps twin TP. No one around here does “hard” IFR in SEPs anyway. (For the record: not meant as an invitation for comments or discussions – from anyone).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If you want a recent well maintained C182 it will come with a G1000 – nothing objectionable. There is no aircraft which satisfies 100% of requirements, aiming for 80% across speed, payload, range, comfort, runway options and safety features usually results in happy, predictable flying.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

207 posts so far! Not bad for a first thread!!

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

207 posts so far! Not bad for a first thread!!

I’m also surprised.

LCPH, Cyprus

Let me summarise a bit.

It’s more or less clear for me now regarding the glass cockpit. Nobody has expressed an opinion that I should not take a plane with the glass cockpit because it will make me a worse pilot or because it’s less safe due to possible in-flight failure (these two were concerns of my instructor). There is a concern regarding to the maintenance but it does not affect safety, and I can accept this risk.

There were opinions that I’m better to buy another aircraft (not C182). Ones that suggest buying a TBM straightaway, I wouldn’t consider seriously. There are arguments for SR22, and among them, the most significant IMO is the parachute. However, I doubt that the chute outweighs the increased risks of operating such a speedy plane by a novice pilot. I’ll probably try flying SR22 to have a better understanding when I have time in September, but I don’t feel I’ll change my mind as a result.

It would be very helpful to get more opinions on the subject of choice between the turbo and normally aspirated. It’s easier to find a recent T182T than a normally aspirated one. And also the turbo is more versatile. Although, it may cause more maintenance troubles (how high are these risks?). And I don’t know if it’s, in general, less reliable to the point that it could have higher chances of engine failure (which is a big no-no for long over-water legs!).

Last Edited by Valentin at 28 Jul 15:57
LCPH, Cyprus
Sign in to add your message