Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Super Cub EASA Maintenance (for an American used to the N register)

We are not talking non-certifieds, we are talking Annex 1 certified aircraft. Super Cub for example.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Ah, you mean ICAO-certified aircraft which are not “EASA aircraft”.

Like this lot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PA18 is on CoFA not on PtF, maintenance is done like for any certified aircraft by Part66 (BCAR-L) under Part-M/ML/145 or national equivalent, any modifications require NAA approval: it took me ages to install an external GoPro on it, we were missing the new fuel burn figure, it’s not like we had an old fuel burn figure to start with…

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 21:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@LeSving

Thank you for the reply! I have been looking for the Norwegian regulations and couldn’t find them. So if I read Google Translate correctly, Chapter 2(4) of the regulations state that Part-ML applies for Norwegian simple aircraft (this one), in which case I can either do the 50 hour inspection myself, or simply create a written maintenance plan using the MIL from Part-ML…..

Finally, some good news. The Norwegian shop was indignant when I asked if “there is any way to deviate from Piper’s inspection list.”

Yes, that’s correct.

But please be aware that all this is new, from July 01 2021. The previous regulations were the old national regulations, very different (and much shorter) than Part-ML. The old ones are still valid until a new N-ARC is made (paragraph 37).

Regarding Part-ML itself I know very little. I have to take a deep dive sooner rather than later, but…

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

boscomantico wrote:

Haven‘t MOST countries decided, in many cases years ago now, that non-EASA aircraft shall be maintained according to Part-M, now Part-ML?

nope. In Estonia, national regulations apply. Which are much stricter than Part ML. No on-condition for engine or prop unless you have non-EASA CAMO specifically for the type ,etc.

EETU, Estonia

PA18 is on CoFA not on PtF, maintenance is done like for any certified aircraft by Part66 (BCAR-L) under Part-M/ML/145 or national equivalent, any modifications require NAA approval.

In Norway it is different. A homebuilt experimental registered receive a CofA and is maintained exactly as a certified non-EASA aircraft, like this Cub. Today (since last summer) this means according to Part-ML. Many factory produced aircraft are also on the experimental register, like Yaks for instance, and several older Cubs as well.

The only difference is that the builder can fill out all these forms. If you are not the builder, then the aircraft is just like any other aircraft, as long as you are not doing any larger modifications to it.

ULs are another matter. Then it is the owner that signs stuff, and there are no regulations about who does the maintenance, only what and when.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

So there is no Permit-To-Fly in Norway?

Do experimental & homebuilt approved in Norway have worldwide privileges? including IFR?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is something called permit to fly, but that can only be used temporarily, and not as an exception for airworthiness. Every aircraft must be airworthy, and kept airworthy.

The laws regulating a Norwegian aircraft are valid world wide. There is no separate IFR privilege. If the aircraft is equipped and the pilot is rated, then off you go the exceptions being ULs, LSA and VLA. They are per definition VFR only, by aircraft limitations (VLA, LSA) or by operational limitations (UL).

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

There is something called permit to fly, but that can only be used temporarily, and not as an exception for airworthiness. Every aircraft must be airworthy, and kept airworthy.

The laws regulating a Norwegian aircraft are valid world wide. There is no separate IFR privilege. If the aircraft is equipped and the pilot is rated, then off you go the exceptions being ULs, LSA and VLA. They are per definition VFR only, by aircraft limitations (VLA, LSA) or by operational limitations (UL).

Wow! Can you live in UK and register an a/c in Norway?
:)

EGTR
Sign in to add your message