Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Survey proposal – which European airfields try to ban GA by using price increases

Hi there,
My feeling is that year after year I am crossing out next airports from the list of my flying destinations, due to rapidly growing airport or handler’s fees. I am afraid I am not alone and that it would be interesting to run a short survay, to share our view on the situation.
Having the broader picture we shall be able to discuss conclusions, maybe agree on some counter actions etc. But the important is to learn where we are, long lasting processes tend to be hard to spot…
Please find below a proposal of a short survey, my suggestion would be that initially we discuss the scope and after that I will try to publish it somewhere in survey form, to give everyone a chance to fill it.
So please feel free to comment the below, if you think that something should be changed, added – every idea appreciated.

1. Please think about your flying destinations of last 10 years. Are there any to which you used to fly, but are not flying anymore (or just occasionally), as a result of current high prices for landing/handling?
a) I can name a lot of such airports
b) I could name some, but it is not a big problem
c) I do not see this as a problem at all
d) Hard to say, I mainly fly locally

2. In the course of these 10 years do you see the number of airports banning your GA visits (through excessive pricing) accelerating/ steady/ slowing down?
a) The process is accelerating, year after year it is worse than it used to be
b) The process is pretty steady across the years
c) This looks like being over. Due to high prices I am already banned from many of destinations I used to fly
d) I do not see such

3. Please name airports where you used to fly historically and are not flying anymore (or flying just occasionally) due to high prices for landing/handling:
a) These are:
b) There are no such

4. Why do you think the airport/ handlers charges become expensive in number of locations? Please choose the most probable in your opinion reason(s):
a) They are popular, have lot’s of GA traffic, earn more money through higher fees
b) They have a growing number of commercial flights, want to get rid of GA operations to concentrate on commercial traffic
c) They do not care about any kind of traffic, are paid by state/ municipality, asking higher prices have less work to do
d) Other:

5. Does the high landing/handling fees which stop your GA flying to some destinations affect the way you can travel?
a) Not much, I can go there by commercial plane, train or my car
b) Not much, there are smaller airfields nearby which I can use
c) Yes, to the large extend I had to cross out such destination as my travel target, getting there from my place with some other means of transport is inconvenient

EP..

Bart wrote:

airports banning your GA visits (through excessive pricing)

I think that this phraseology makes a presumption. Raising prices is not banning. None of us is banned from the Royal Opera House or Maison au Quatres Saison, banned from owning a Rolls Royce or a Global Express. We make choices about value.

It might be better phrased:

In the course of these 10 years have you seen the number of airports making your GA visits unecomical accelerating/ steady/ slowing down?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I have changed the thread title from

Survey proposal – price ban for GA from airfields in Europe

to

Survey proposal – which European airfields do you no longer fly to due to price increases

I hope that makes sense.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy’s remark accepted and appreciated.
But the title you proposed, Peter…
Maybe mine wasn’t perfect. But this syrvay is not about the list of airports with high prices, but some more general, if there are processes of GA squeeze out with the use of high fees.

EP..

How about this one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Agreed

EP..
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message